Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old February 13, 2009   #16
tomatoaddict

Quote:
Thick skinned vile thing
That made me laugh outloud..Heehee.
I've never tried Sugary but after your review, I doubt it will ever make my growlist.
The only tomato I have ever spit out of my mouth was Church. Biggest tomato I have ever grown but horrible (for me) for taste.
Old February 16, 2009   #17
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Sneaking in from western Oregon to check things out. I have often wished I could come for a Choptag event. Growing tomatoes in this part of the Pacific Northwest can be a trial sometimes.

Can hardly believe it's been eight years. Have an excellent plant trade.
Old February 16, 2009   #18
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default CHOPTAG Plant Exchange and Tasting

Mary, It certainly would be great to have you visit with us! You can't find better folks to spend time with than these; it is like having an extended family. And, my friends speak/talk the same language -- Tomatoes!
Heirloom Tomatoes reminds me of blissful summers and cold winters when soups and sauces warmed the heart bringing back memories of boyhood days long ago.
All good wishes for a bountiful garden this season, dear friend!
Gary
Old February 16, 2009   #19
tomatoaddict

Quote:
Heirloom Tomatoes reminds me of blissful summers and cold winters when soups and sauces warmed the heart bringing back memories of boyhood days long ago.
I always tell people that I love living in Ohio. I love having the change of seasons. I look forward to the hot soups and stews, fires in the fireplace and watching the snow come down in the winter. Summer brings the tomatoes , fresh corn on the cob, grilling out and fresh mint tea.
OOPs, I don't want to forget the crickets and Katydids. Spring brings the flowers, and tilling the garden after a long winter and fall you get to see the beautiful trees changing color, the cool evenings and the bonfires we have in the evening.
I would miss all of that if I lived somewhere hot all of the time.
Sorry to go off but Gary's remark made me think of it. LOL...
Old March 4, 2009   #20
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Jerry,
I'd like to put in an order for a 6 pack. Thanks.
Andes Horn [2 plants please--would like to try plants different from my own]
Brandywine, Yellow (Platfoot)
Carbon
Lillian's Yellow Heirloom
Lucky Cross
Old March 5, 2009   #21
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Hey Earl,

I'll be glad to bring you the plants you requested.

The Andes Horn I grow is from seed I got from you so I don't know if you'll be accomplishing anything.

If you prefer I can bring you seed with me for the varieties you want when we meet on Sunday. Let me know. Either way is OK with me.
Old March 5, 2009   #22
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

Hi Jerry:
Please bring the following if you have them:
Two-Vinson Watts
One-Diener
One-Eva Purple Ball
One-Canestrino

I'll be starting my seed in ten days.
Thanks
Old March 19, 2009   #23
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Barbee,
I you can swing it I'd like one each of these:
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Black Krim
JD's Special C-Tex

I'll post my list in next few days.

Is anyone growing Purple Haze? I'd like one if you are. Here's a write-up on it:
"A stunningly beautiful purple-pink, large cherry sized fruit. This cross incorporates Black Cherry, Brandywine and Cherokee Purple in a successful effort to improve the flavor of Black Cherry. Great tasting fruits are sweeter and larger than Black Cherry, about 2-3 oz. Plants are super productive, early, indeterminate and regular leafed. 68 days."
Old March 19, 2009   #24
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Got you wrote down Earl. The JD's are being slow pokey, but tomorrow will be 2 weeks, so I'm trying to be patient. I do have a back up plan in place if they poop out though
Is anyone growing the yellow red butt that won the taste test last year?
Old March 20, 2009   #25
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Barbee, thanks. I've sown YRB seeds.

Here's what I've started, so y'all put your order in for the plant share meet.

Earl’s Faux
Aunt Gertie’s Gold
Gary O’Sena
Noir de Crimee
Green Giant
Polish
Burracker’s Favorite
Mararini
Yellow Red Butt--no germination, yet [as of 3-29]
Granny Cantrell
Mountaineer Mystery
Cherokee Purple
Yellow Brandywine
Liz Birt
Dora
Spudatula
Cherokee Chocolate
Lescana
Picardy
M.P. Stoner
Green Grape
Black Cherry
Dr. Carolyn
Galina’s Yellow Cherry
SunGold
Matt’s Wild Cherry
Mexico Midget
Sweet Thing Grape
Sweet Pea Currant
Old March 20, 2009   #26
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Earl,
Put me down for 1 of each
Yellow Red Butt
Noir de Crimee
And when I went to turn off the lights in the basement last night, 5 little dirty heads poking out in the JD's section of the flat. So we have germination. Hooray!
Old March 21, 2009   #27
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Ok, Barbee. Your listed for 1 of each, Yellow Red Butt and Noir de Crimee. Glad the JD's got with the program!

Edited 4-9-09: Barbee, no germination yet on the YRB. Anything to replace it? Want to try Burracker's Favorite? It's a yellow with some red on the bottom. One of the best bi-colors I've tried, ranking with YRB flavor wise, and productive.
Old March 27, 2009   #28
tootaloo
Tomatovillian™

Hello I have had a bit of TROUBLE with my seeds. Just got them cozy in the greenhouse. And knocked the tray off the shelf. was so upset. I took them to the raised bed and dumped them all. So I started over on the 22. Not my first picks but some unknowns from seeds trades. Surprizes
The only one i will miss badly is pale perfect purple and Cherkee Chocolate. Had heard good things about it. When they come up I will give you an idea of what I hope to bring.
By the way. Got in to peppers this year. Looking for their little heads to come up.
Old April 9, 2009   #29
Earl
Tomatovillian™

tootaloo, want one of my Cherokee Chocolates?

On another thread someone mentioned bringing name tags for everyone. That's a good idea since my memory is about as long as a p*ss ant's.
Old April 9, 2009   #30
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Earl,
Burracker's will be great. Thank you.

Nametags are a good idea. Otherwise, everyone will just have to tell me their screenname AND their name. Repeatedly. LoL

toot,
I grew more tomatoes than I know what to do with. I'll bring plenty of extras and you can pick to your heart's content.

BTW, I do NOT want to go home with any of the plants I bring! And if you see me with more than 3 or 4 plants going to the car, stop me and say "Step Away From The Tomatoes"