Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 25, 2018   #1
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Default Keeper tomatoes 2018

I have 111 tomatoes in the ground, and hopefully will have them all caged and mulched this weekend. A few new standouts this year:

Katana
Odorinko
Mandarin
New Big Dwarf
Chapman
Cosmonaut Volkov
Brad's Black Heart
Solar Flare
Juane Flamme
Brutus
Beauty Lottringa...

Plants looking Awsum, no tomatoes yet...
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Jaunne Flamme is always a standout on all counts. Beauty, ease of growing, taste, production. It can do no wrong
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #3
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Jaunne Flamme is always a standout on all counts. Beauty, ease of growing, taste, production. It can do no wrong
I grew a couple last year, and for just grabbing a tomato off the vine, and eating them... There is nothing that comes close taste wise, except Brad's Atomic Grape, which is different, but equally good.
Old May 26, 2018   #4
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

Default Jaune Flamme

Jaune flamme was simply tangy in terms of taste in my case. It is a beautiful plant, bushy, early and productive. Too bad the taste was not there, at least for me
Banadoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
I have 111 tomatoes in the ground, and hopefully will have them all caged and mulched this weekend. A few new standouts this year:

Katana
Odorinko
Mandarin
New Big Dwarf
Chapman
Cosmonaut Volkov
Brad's Black Heart
Solar Flare
Juane Flamme
Brutus
Beauty Lottringa...

Plants looking Awsum, no tomatoes yet...
I think you mean you hope they WILL be standouts this summer,yes?

OK,here's the ones I've grown of those above.

Katana, I don't know a Katana, Tania doesn't either but I do know Katinka, a darn good one.

Odorinko, have grown it but so long ago, don't remember it

Mandarin, same as above

New Big Dwarf,yes,have grown it but prefer the newer dwarf ones.

Chapman, an all time fave of mine

Cosmonaut Volkov, a good early fave

Brad's Black Heart, I like most hearts and this black one was THE first black one.AKA Dawson's Black Heart.

Solar Flare, no,not grown

Jaune Flammee is the spelling, I love it, from Norbert in France in 1992 when he asked 4 of us to trade with him, also a Jaune Negib from him a well.

Brutus, there are several Brutuses or Bruti(?) around, unfortunately, I don't know which one yours is.

Beauty Lottringa..., know of it but have not grown it.

Nice selection of different varieties for this summer, so please be sure to get back to us and let us know the results.

Carolyn
Old May 26, 2018   #6
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Jaune Flammee tasted way too acidic for me!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #7
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Oh, JF. Next year hopefully, it was a blast in 2014...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post

Linda
So far Linda you are the only one not a fan of JF, but that doesn't surprise me at all.

Not everyone tastes the same variety the same way, the tastes of variety can differ from one year to another based on many variables that occur in the summer it was grown.

Maybe try it another year since many here do like it.

Just a modest suggestion.

Carolyn
Old May 26, 2018   #9
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Here's a big thumb's up for Jaune Flammee, yes, there are additional likeable varieties. JF, hereabouts is loaded with fruit and blossoms. In previous years, JF has set fruit despite torrid Texas heat.
Harry Cabluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post

Linda
I think it is a wee bit bland and still like it but my friend in Colorado I gave seeds to thinks it is to die for and has saved seeds ever since.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #11
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I think you mean you hope they WILL be standouts this summer,yes?

OK,here's the ones I've grown of those above.

Katana, I don't know a Katana, Tania doesn't either but I do know Katinka, a darn good one.

Odorinko, have grown it but so long ago, don't remember it

Mandarin, same as above

New Big Dwarf,yes,have grown it but prefer the newer dwarf ones.

Chapman, an all time fave of mine

Cosmonaut Volkov, a good early fave

Brad's Black Heart, I like most hearts and this black one was THE first black one.AKA Dawson's Black Heart.

Solar Flare, no,not grown

Jaune Flammee is the spelling, I love it, from Norbert in France in 1992 when he asked 4 of us to trade with him, also a Jaune Negib from him a well.

Brutus, there are several Brutuses or Bruti(?) around, unfortunately, I don't know which one yours is.

Beauty Lottringa..., know of it but have not grown it.

Nice selection of different varieties for this summer, so please be sure to get back to us and let us know the results.

Carolyn
Katana for a plant, is kicking butt. My best looking plants, by far. It and Odiriko and Mandarin seeds came from Kitazawa Seeds. A couple more that I’m growing this year may ring a bell... Red Barn, Red Penna, Mule Team, Boxcar Willie, Church, Delicious...
I probably just jinxed myself, but so far, the plants were late, but they look really good.
Old May 29, 2018   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Katana for a plant, is kicking butt. My best looking plants, by far. It and Odiriko and Mandarin seeds came from Kitazawa Seeds. A couple more that I’m growing this year may ring a bell... Red Barn, Red Penna, Mule Team, Boxcar Willie, Church, Delicious...
I probably just jinxed myself, but so far, the plants were late, but they look really good.
I'd forgotten about Kitazawa so looked it up and there was Kitana, as you had said. I used to buy lots of different kinds from them,but not lately.

Yes,I sure do recognize several that you posted above.

Red Barn,Mule Team and Box Car Willie were all ones that Joe Bratka sent me,Joe died a few years ago.

Red Penna has always been a fave of mine, and yes,I've also grown Church and Delicious as well.

Carolyn
Old May 30, 2018   #13
sic transit gloria
Tomatovillian™

Too early to say in terms of production and flavor, but the standouts in terms of plant vigor are Linda's Faux, Neves Azorean Red, True Black Brandywine, and Malachite Box. Linda's Faux is new to me this year (thank you Marsha, aka ginger2778), but there are a couple leaves on this plant that are probably 10" long and 4-5" wide.

To be honest, all of them look good this year; probably the warm May. I forgot how much I enjoy growing Silvery Fir Tree; a true oddity.

Stg
sic transit gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2018   #14
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Most promising for 2018 is Barlow Jap. For some reason it was the first to flower and set fruit, faster then Mat-su. The plants grow well, foliage is a tad sparse but it has big beautiful flowers that set well. Am very curious how it will taste.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2018   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Most promising for 2018 is Barlow Jap. For some reason it was the first to flower and set fruit, faster then Mat-su. The plants grow well, foliage is a tad sparse but it has big beautiful flowers that set well. Am very curious how it will taste.
Here's the history behind this one from Tania

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Barlow_Jap

The first person to offer seeds for it was Maria Stegner, she had a great website where she sold seeds to others and was also a registered member here at Tville, but no more website. She got a lot of negative feedback about it b'c it had Jap as part of the variety name. Sad, b/c she wasn't the one who named it.The concern was by others b/c of WII and the involvement of the Japanese in that war.Who were called Japs by their enemies in that war. And more specifically by so many US soldiers who were killed by the Japanese in that war in the Pacific, and never forgotten by parents, their kids and their kids.

On the bright side all of the negativity had nothing to do with why so many liked the variety itself.

Carolyn