Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 11, 2018   #1
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Default Mockingbird Stew

OK. My first Big Beef ripening slowly and I am anticipating the taste of the Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich. Almost ripe. I think I'll give it one more day just to be at the peak.

A mockingbird decided he would help himself to my precious treasure and I caught him after he had pecked two holes in the tomato. Not too much damage and I can still have my sandwich, but that mockingbird had better be careful. I have a stew pot and I know how to use it.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

Bacon lettuce and mockingbird sandwich, perchance?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

A mockingbird is the State Bird of Texas.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018   #4
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

Come and get this one. Let me know when you'll be here and I'll have it ready to transport.
Old June 11, 2018   #5
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Mike, I hope you enjoy your first BLT. I know my anticipation is high, but still about 3 weeks away.

i haven't seen many Mockingbirds so far this year. They seem to be a pretty aggressive bird in the bird world. Plus they poop on my car. I agree on shipping them to Texas.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018   #6
Groundhog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
And Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi and Florida. I don't know why they're so popular
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I cant remember the last time I saw one.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018   #8
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Mocking birds peck my tomatoes all the time, so I cover each tomato with green frost cloth. The squirrels also help themselves to my tomatoes. I also pick my tomatoes at first blush, they ripen on the kitchen counter almost as good as they ripen on the vine.
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018   #9
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

You all need birdbaths, lol! One with a little fountain in it even better. Heavy enough so it doesn't tip if/when a squirrel climbs on it to drink. They like to drink moving water. Keep it relatively clean and with water in it. Really, try it, lol. It will likely save you a lot of tomatoes.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018   #10
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I love to listen to mockingbird song.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018   #11
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I have a mockingbird story I just have to tell. Many years ago we were visiting family in Lexington, and stayed at the Kentucky Horse Park campground. At the entrance the staff had a hut with a pointy roof. At the top of the roof sat a mockingbird, singing its crazy succession of melodies at the top of its voice. My wife and I were sure it was a robotic bird, like you'd see at Disney World - until it flew away. (Being from N.H. and Norway, we'd never seen or heard a mockingbird before.)

I'm sorry they eat tomatoes, but I can't help but being charmed by them.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018   #12
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

Birds are still pretty persistent. I'm guessing that it's still the mockingbird, but haven't witnessed the culprit in the last couple of days.

I have a bird bath within 10 feet of the garden, so plan B is to use ziploc bags to protect tomatoes when they first start to ripen. We'll see how ingenious they are. If they unzip the bags and eat the tomatoes, I'm in trouble.
Old June 14, 2018   #13
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

I am sitting on my patio listening to several mocking birds as I type this. In the spring, there is one that gets on the peak of my neighbors garage which is right next to our bedroom. It sings the same tune at the top of its voice all night long every night for weeks. I get pretty tired of it to be honest. They peck holes in my tomatoes as well, but the groundhogs are my main nemesis for ruining my best tomatoes. The groundhogs are regularly lurking around outside my garden for now, but in two-three weeks, they will be in my garden feasting. The rabbits have cleaned out my peas & lettuce. Urban animals somehow know we can't really do anything about it.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018   #14
Whistlebritche
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanheirlooms View Post
I am sitting on my patio listening to several mocking birds as I type this. In the spring, there is one that gets on the peak of my neighbors garage which is right next to our bedroom. It sings the same tune at the top of its voice all night long every night for weeks. I get pretty tired of it to be honest. They peck holes in my tomatoes as well, but the groundhogs are my main nemesis for ruining my best tomatoes. The groundhogs are regularly lurking around outside my garden for now, but in two-three weeks, they will be in my garden feasting. The rabbits have cleaned out my peas & lettuce. Urban animals somehow know we can't really do anything about it.
I live in a very urban,maybe better described as the boonies,area.A good air gun keeps my pest away......we eat a lot of squirrel and I am not opposed to feasting on mockingbird,Texas or not.
Whistlebritche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2018   #15
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistlebritche View Post
I live in a very urban,maybe better described as the boonies,area.A good air gun keeps my pest away......we eat a lot of squirrel and I am not opposed to feasting on mockingbird,Texas or not.
I consider "urban" to be in the city, not in the boonies. I guess my house is considered "suburban" as we are not right in the city, but lots of houses together. We are not allowed to shoot a gun in my area in other words. I am not opposed to humanely dealing with nuisance animals for food as I often go to rural areas to do so myself. Although I have never eaten a mocking bird, I believe I will stick to turkey and doves.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote