Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 17, 2018   #1
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Default heat wave watering

uggh. Going to need to adjust the drip zone for the containers for 3 watering sessions at least for tomorrow. Going to be h0tttt

My mix was not as composted as I wanted (late changes + fresh potting medium). Currently, had to change the watering schedule already to 2X a dat and a larger emitter.

Whew, it's been a struggle keeping these container *tomatoes* happy and wet - all along, the ones in dirt get minimal water and attention, and show no signs of leaf roll due to the dealing with the weather. Cool roots are happy roots.

Needless to say, my root pouches are doing it's job. I was curious. Lifted one pot up and there are roots going out the pot already and I feel like we're not even in the halfway stretch
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Let the roots grow into the soil and you wont be sorry.
I put my containers into the soil so they can.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #3
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

LOL. I never considered that. I actually put some pavers underneath it so it can breath. Not sure what containers you use - I use fabric pots. Once the season get's *underway*, and the potting medium does take on water and stays wet, it keeps the fabric moist. The containers get pretty disgusting - don't care much about the salt buildup vs. the green aglae that tends to grow on the outside of the pot. To the point, where I can take a hand shovel and *scrape if off* - aka, you can smell the algae if it's wet outside - hence the use of pavers so that air can float 360 and keep the fabric pot as least not as wet
Old June 17, 2018   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I get the black plastic containers for free from construction sights that have landscaping going on.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #5
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

I see. The root pouches just we icky....due to the them being fabric and a invitation for the mold to develop on the outside.
For drainage holes. assuming you make them, what camp do you subscribe to.
I've always been the *not alot of small* . but just a good couple of large holes.

On the flip side, since it promotes air everywhere, the root system get's huge and healthy due to that.
Old June 18, 2018   #6
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Magnesium helps with leaf roll in my experience. Also you can provide shade cloth for almost roll free or space them closer.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote