Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 23, 2006   #16
MawkHawk
Tomatovillian™

I'm havig a great year here, in SE Michigan, as well. Just enough rain and warm temps, as Duane said. So far I've picked from the greenhouse a couple each of Aunt Gertie's Gold, Black Krim, Green Zebra, Brandy-Sudduth and Lucky Cross grown from seed that Craig sent to me. The LC was so good that it caused my wife's eye's to roll back into her head. By far the best tasting this year. The GH fruits are pretty small but I'm happy to have them.

From the garden I've picked at least 1 of Lemon Boy, Black Krim, Brandy-Sudduth, Box Car Willie (yesterday), Anna Russian, Black from Tula, Cher Purple, Red Zebra, Kellog's Breakfast (also yesterday) and Purden's Purple. Sioux, Azoychka, Black Mountain Pink, Paul Robesons, Coustralee and Aunt Ruby's German Green are pending.

I've had great results growing my seedlings in my little heated GH which really speeded up the whole process. Should have done this years ago.

One thing I've noticed tho is that my garden toms are lacking in color, e.g. my reds are not very red, blacks are not very black, purples are pink, etc. I didn't have this problem last year so is a mystery to me. Any thoughts?