Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old February 3, 2009   #1
tomatoaddict

Default Help Growing out Regina Yellow X Unknown

Here are a couple of pics of my Regina's Yellow that I grew in '07. I saved seed from them and sent some to the French peeps.

Here is what the French peeps got when they grew out my seed.

The French growers realized it was a cross and did not save any seed from their F1 grow-out. I still have the original seed from '07 and would like to find a few people that would like to grow it out and see what we get.
Anyone interested Please PM me for seed.
Old February 3, 2009   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Terry - hope I don't take the original intent of your thread too far OT, but are you sure it is a cross?

IME, I have found minor to even sometimes major variation in color of gold-red bicolors year to year. Some years I have had them be almost entirely yellow/gold with very little blush, other years they may be mostly red.

Last year was rather interesting in that almost all of my bicolors were much more red than gold (edit/add - even to the point that a few vars when dead ripe were mostly red even including the top/shoulders), just thought I would mention it. It was an extremely hot and dry yr, even for Texas, which could have been a factor, I suppose.

Also, Regina's Yellow has had a fair amount of red for me every time I have grown it.

Click for Larger Size
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2009   #3
tomatoaddict

Hey Suze!!
Well, I thought I was sure until I read your post.
It just looked so wildly different that I assumed it was crossed. I was looking at the interior shot from the French growers and the interior shot of your RY and they look very different to me but I don't know if that also could be a difference in location and or weather.
I wish the French peeps had saved seed from their grow-out.
I guess all I can do is offer the seed to other materheads and let's all see what we get this year.
I will now call it Regina's Yellow Possible cross. LOL.
Old February 4, 2009   #4
tomatoaddict

Okay, I have to ask..... I have been looking at these pics over and over. I know my RY's were definitely a boat shaped beefsteak. I noticed that the French growers had a distinct round shape. Is this something that would change?
Old February 4, 2009   #5
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Terry - in general, I tend to see much more boat shaping earlier in the season here, or in the case of my fall crop, late in the season - IOW, when temps are cooler or unstable. In any case, I think the differences in shaping pictured in this thread are all in the realm of what RY could be shaped like.

However, I noticed the tomatoes in the French pics might be smaller than I would expect RY to be? Can't judge the scale for sure.

The last time I grew Regina's, tomatoes from it were not boat shaped, as you can see in the previous pic. Dug up a picture Bully posted of RY a while back, and you'll see that the tomato is on the round side, perhaps with some ruffled shoulders:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....38&postcount=8

Yeah, you could have a cross. Guess we'll find out.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2009   #6
tomatoaddict

Thanks Suze! I think I'll grow a couple to save seed and see what happens next year.