Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

View Poll Results: Which do you think will produce better when put in ground
6 weeks old in 2 in pot 2 weeks after frost 6 22.22%
6 weeks old in 2 in pot 4 weeks after frost 1 3.70%
8 weeks old in 4 in pot 2 weeks after frost 11 40.74%
8 weeks old in 4 in pot 4 weeks after frost 3 11.11%
10 weeks old in 12 in pots after frost 3 11.11%
12 weeks old in 12 in pots after frost 3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 28, 2015   #1
Rairdog
Tomatovillian™

Default What tomato does better

From my latest research it makes sense to not start plants to early which stresses plants before they go into the ground .

Last edited by Rairdog; January 28, 2015 at 12:35 AM.
Rairdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Not sure what you mean Rairdog? If I had to pick a best tomato, Porter is my best.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #3
Rairdog
Tomatovillian™

From reading it seems I stress the plants too much by starting them early and planting them to early. The later plants always seem to catch up and surpass.
Old January 28, 2015   #4
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

With the caveat that I only use the deep version of any pot I use if available.
I am going to try a couple of tomatoes and peppers in gallon pots this year though.
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The poll has no relevance for someone that lives as far south a s I do.

Some years we have no frost.
One year I had an orange Russian plant sprout in a dirt pile at the end of my drive in November.
It lived all winter and ended up being one of my best producers.
From seed start to plant out 6 weeks is a little too long for a tomato plant to be in a 2 inch pot.
At 6 to 8 weeks these plants should be in at least a 4 inch pot if not bigger.
But like I said we have totally different growing conditions here and the sun is stronger.
There are just too many variables to consider.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #6
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

The poll puts too much emphasis on size and dates. Some years our last frost is in late February/early March, and some years it's in April. The soil needs to be warm, so taking the soil temperature makes more sense to me than sticking to a date that is an average of many years of data.

I also watch for nighttime temperatures in the 50's before I start moving my main season plants outside to harden off.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just noticed the poll had different sized containers.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #8
Rairdog
Tomatovillian™

I'm just wondering if stressing the plants by letting them get a little root bound or planting them when temps fall below 50 leads to Septoria, Blight and other disease/pests. Last year some of mine starting flowering which seemed to really stress them. It seems smaller and later lead to better plants.
Old January 28, 2015   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I recently read that one should avoid letting the tomatoes get root bound at anytime before planting. I think it was in a post by Fusion_power either here or on another forum.

Personally, I've settled on starting my seeds 9 weeks before plant out which will be a good two weeks after the last frost date for my area. How quickly the seedlings grow during that time will determine what size pot they're in before plant out.

This is what I did the first two years and I had fantastic yields. The past two years I succumbed to the start-them-earlier-get-them-bigger-plant them-earlier temptation. Yields were down by about a third.

Not saying anyone else's results will be the same. Just sharing my experiences.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I would think that indeterminates would grow out of whatever stress you put them through.

Also, I've noticed that seedlings transplanted into the ground from a gallon pot into the soil do better than others...when it is very bad soil that I am planting them in. I think most of the roots stay in the space of the original hole. But with good soil, the size of the transplant is not an issue.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #11
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Last year we went from last frost to a high of over 100 in a week. I try to get my plants in the ground the day after last frost if at all possible, and the size is small. Smaller than 2" typically, but almost never more than 3" But like Worth noted, local conditions vary. Do what works for you in your area.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #12
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

As a side note, pepper plants seem much more susceptible to becoming stunted from being rootbound. I have had a lot of seedlings that stayed in the flats for too long. They turn yellow and stop growing, even when planted in the ground. I have not had that happen with tomatoes.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #13
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Last year we went from last frost to a high of over 100 in a week. I try to get my plants in the ground the day after last frost if at all possible, and the size is small. Smaller than 2" typically, but almost never more than 3" But like Worth noted, local conditions vary. Do what works for you in your area.
I like to plant deep, so while I might leave only a couple or thee inches showing after transplanting, the seedling will actually be 8" - 12" or more tall. I have mine in two inch soil blocks, even when they are that tall, and they take right off. I usually figure I am safe if I put them in after Memorial Day, and sometimes I'm right.
Old January 28, 2015   #14
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Give the poll creators a break...we don't have to be Philadelphia lawyers here, and dissect this thing into legal jargon. If we were writing a thesis for our masters in Plant Husbandry...maybe it would be a suspect poll. It is a fun poll...if it creates thought and fun...I think it is all good. We might actually learn something here and have fun by accident.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #15
MrsTwigg
Tomatovillian™

Without any grow lights indoors to provide supplemental light, I'm leery of starting my tomatoes any earlier than absolutely necessary. Growing them on windowsills as I do, it would also be impractical for me to up-pot the seedlings into anything much larger than the recycled yogurt cups that I used last year. So, by necessity, I'm definitely in the "start 'em late, transplant while still very small" camp. It seemed to work well for me last year, anyway.

Even with better equipment (lights!) and the space to start more seedlings, I still think I'd go this route...I'm intrinsically lazy and can't imagine up-potting seedlings any more than absolutely necessary.
MrsTwigg is offline   Reply With Quote