Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 29, 2019   #481
lubadub
Tomatovillian™

Also, I do think cool nights could contribute to megablooms but I also feel that cool nights reduces actual pollination.
Old May 29, 2019   #482
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

Same here in NJ. Lots and lots of rain. I have some things in containers going, but the only thing in the ground is garlic I planted last fall (looks great). I've got things pretty well sorted and hardened off, and the next good non-muddy day, the tomatoes are going in. Last year, I didn't plant in ground until well into the first week of June, and some in the first week of July, and it was a wonderful tomato year.
LK2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2019   #483
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

It's still 100 degrees, maybe two or so more before it breaks. Those full-sun bucket tomatoes in the garden have really responded from the light row cover shade I draped over the cages. They were just slowly growing until then and in the four days since it's been on they've jumped about 6" and look really happy. I thought I heard a collective "Ahhhh!"

Not much fruit set on those yet, just one or two green marbles here and there. I took the cover off today for the morning to make sure pollinators know blooms are there. Whether the pollen's viable, I don't know.

The bucket tomatoes by the house are not covered as they get some afternoon shade and they're doing well too. They are setting fruit.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2019   #484
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Here's a few pics of the 5.63(8.41) seed from Dan, I have a megabloom but not sure yet if it's a double or more. I'll let a few more flower clusters form before I commit to this one. But I will cut off the single blossoms....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sutherland 5.63.jpg (102.9 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg Sutherland 5.63 2 5-28-19.jpg (191.5 KB, 174 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2019   #485
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Any suggestions on picture rotation? They are up as jpg's, not sure why this site is tilting them....
Old May 31, 2019   #486
taboule
Tomatovillian™

I've had the same problem before, end up fussing with the image for a bit to trick the server.

Better?

Sutherland 5.63 2 5-28-19-v2.jpg
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019   #487
PlainJane

Pic looks right side up to me ...
Old May 31, 2019   #488
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

So far I have two Delicious with mega blooms and fruit set as well as a couple Terhune. Most are 3-4 fused together. I have one left that I am hoping for a serious fused mess.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2019   #489
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

This might get interesting KarenO- Zena's Gift megabloom. Looks to be at least 4 or 5 fused. I'll see if I can get it to pollinate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zena's Gift Megabloom 2 6-1-19.jpg (82.4 KB, 137 views)
Old June 1, 2019   #490
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
So far I have two Delicious with mega blooms and fruit set as well as a couple Terhune. Most are 3-4 fused together. I have one left that I am hoping for a serious fused mess.
Mark- I'm growing one of your Terhune seeds, a 4+ pounder I think? Looks like my first truss is only single blossoms
Old June 2, 2019   #491
lubadub
Tomatovillian™

It is still cold and wet here as we enter June. Lets hope the weather shifts. It has rained almost every day for the last two weeks. We can't even cut the grass due to the soggy ground. Also standing water in the garden. Another bad year? Weather change? May soon go down to a predicted night temperature of 42 degrees?
Old June 8, 2019   #492
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Here's a little progress on the two megablooms I have so far- first one is from the Big Zac Sutherland 5.63 (8.41 WR), looks like I only got half of it pollinated. The last picture is from Zena's Gift (KarenO), and it appears it is a triple or a quad and good pollination across all of the stigmas....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sutherland 5.63 Megabloom 6-8-19.jpg (84.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Zenas Gift Megabloom 6-8-19.jpg (141.0 KB, 96 views)
Old June 8, 2019   #493
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Yay!! Zena’s is capable of a big tomato I think
I hope you get a really big one Darin
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2019   #494
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Karen! Quick question- I have a bit of yellowing on a few lower branches of ZG, but the plant looks awesome up higher. I have a few other plants with this. I've just been removing the whole branch when I see any yellowing. Any reason for concern? Thanks!
Old June 9, 2019   #495
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Thanks Karen! Quick question- I have a bit of yellowing on a few lower branches of ZG, but the plant looks awesome up higher. I have a few other plants with this. I've just been removing the whole branch when I see any yellowing. Any reason for concern? Thanks!
I don’t know, but always a good idea to remove discoloured foliage on any plant. Just yellow? No spots?
If just Yellow they might be hungry. Zena’s is a very big plant for me
K
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote