Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 19, 2023   #1
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Default Galactic Magic Seeds?

I had posted a little while ago that I had a few extra seeds of Rebel Starfighter Prime to share. I'd obtained the parent seed from Galactic Magic Seeds directly, but now it appears that this website is down. Does anyone know if this is temporary? Is the breeder (I think the breeder is Blane or Blaine Horton) okay? I sure hope so, this is a great tomato.
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2023   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

A quick google will tell you who bred that particular tomato and it wasn’t Blane Horton.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2023   #3
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Whoops! You are right of course. I don't know why I had it in my mind that Horton was the breeder. In any case I hope he is OK given that the website is down.
Old February 20, 2023   #4
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Disclaimer: not to pick a fight with or disparage anyone, but this comes with my Google search:

I'm not interested in offering WTS my email address, etc, and so choose not to follow the link. But it isn't too much of a problem to think an innocent poster could confuse the owner of a commerce site with the breeder of one of their "draw" products.

Further disclaimer: I grew a few of these extreme antho sorts last year (Rebel Starfighter and a couple of Brad Gate's similar sorts) and thought they were dissapointing in my garden. Just sort of muddy colors. My favorites were the yellow/orange ones like Lucid Gem and Yellow Dragon.

Sent from my motorola edge using Tapatalk

Last edited by eyolf; February 20, 2023 at 06:47 PM.
eyolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2023   #5
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

That's probably where I got the notion. I don't use the World Tomato Society, I can find information and buy seeds without becoming a member of any such society.
Rebel Starfighter Prime did very well for me last season and I'll be regrowing it. Big somewhat elongated hearts with intense color and good flavor. Good yields, too. I'm also going to regrow Atomic Fusion as I like the flavor and spectacular colors.
Old February 21, 2023   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

No idea why they would continue to direct people to an out of service website.
Re “ the world tomato society” that started out as a tomato charitable non profit run out of a real estate management office in California and has morphed into a membership only business offering pretty basic variety info, direction to selected seed sources and some recipes and articles on simple topics anyone can google for free. It Still has the same address and name as the original non profit address, that same real estate office in California.
I think it’s ok keep your money in your pocket and just use google and Tomatoville is a wealth of information too.

I have seeds for that tomato. If you message me I’ll send you some.
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; February 21, 2023 at 12:13 AM.
Old February 21, 2023   #7
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Interesting...from "charitable non profit" to a membership-only business. Doesn't pass the sniff test for me.
Thanks Karen for the seed offer, but I do have seed from the plants I grew last year. It's a nice tomato, at least under my garden conditions.
Old February 22, 2023   #8
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

It seems that maybe non-profits can have "membership-based" operations...
Old February 22, 2023   #9
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Yes thank you Fred. Naturally non profit groups can have memberships. I belong as a member to several worthwhile organizations myself.
Do you know the answer to the OP question?

KarenO
Old February 22, 2023   #10
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Ummm... which OP question?
Old February 23, 2023   #11
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Ummm... which OP question?
Seems to be whether the breeder or the seed seller is still around.

I got mine from Dale Thurber at Delectation of tomatoes.

Which reminds me: I traded for seeds with a young African fellow involved in a community mission in the college town another friend lived in. He had relatives send seeds they saved from home.
One variety is a pretty average beefsteak not a great deal different from a dozen others.
The other is an interesting broad heart with the high-solids texture of a paste type, but averages 7-9 ounces. AND, it peels like a dream for canning.

I should offer some seeds to Dale. He seems like a great guy.

Old February 24, 2023   #12
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

The grapevine has it that Blane Horton has retired from the seed business - at least for the time being.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2023   #13
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Thanks @Patihum for the information. I'm glad I saved seeds from this particular tomato.

@eyolf, if you send Dale seeds, you should document the provenance as well as you can (name of source, country of origin). If nothing else, it's provenance future growers will appreciate. And, even if it is a seed or plant freely given/donated (as in this case), I do think that if it's a seed or plant that resulted from some individual/local/indigenous effort to select for particular traits, then its originators should be acknowledged and honored. That would be true whether the seed or plant came from overseas or from someone in the US whose family has been developing or stewarding it for years, maybe generations.

Some companies (like Fedco) are making the effort to do this, even if in retrospect, and even if the connection is only the use of a native American name for a variety not developed by a native American.
Old February 24, 2023   #14
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2021 View Post
Thanks @Patihum for the information. I'm glad I saved seeds from this particular tomato.

@eyolf, if you send Dale seeds, you should document the provenance as well as you can (name of source, country of origin). If nothing else, it's provenance future growers will appreciate. And, even if it is a seed or plant freely given/donated (as in this case), I do think that if it's a seed or plant that resulted from some individual/local/indigenous effort to select for particular traits, then its originators should be acknowledged and honored. That would be true whether the seed or plant came from overseas or from someone in the US whose family has been developing or stewarding it for years, maybe generations.

Some companies (like Fedco) are making the effort to do this, even if in retrospect, and even if the connection is only the use of a native American name for a variety not developed by a native American.
I have the African guy's name and what he remembers, but all he knows is a fellow student from India got it from HIS relatives.

I LOVED it as a canner: 8 once fruits that peel so easily add up nicely in jars. Dry, high-solids flesh mean great sauce.
It might have been bred for that purpose...somewhere...and the name (Parika) might not be correct.

But I love it and want to share.

Old February 25, 2023   #15
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

I would be interested in seeds if you have a few to share/exchange.