Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 14, 2016   #16
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, forgot about peppers. Here is my tentative list. But got to cut back some.

Trinidad Scorpion
Scotch Bonnet
Red Hab
Choc. Hab
Lemon Drop
Golden cayenne
Chinese Five Color (ornamental )
Hungarian Yellow Wax
Fresno
Thai Hot
Numex Sunset (ornamental )
Numex Twilight (ornamental )
Big Jim
Jalapeno
Pasilla Bajo
Anaheim
Alepo
pepperoncini
Shisheeto
Sweet Banana
Alma Paprika
Red Marconi.

I wan to grow them mostly for fresh eating, grilling and cooking. Just a few for powder and sauce making.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2016   #17
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Received these from the Ni Kwana or "master of mysteries" . Fred's tie dye, Sakharny Pudovichok, Fresa, Cosmonaut Volkov, Cheste ,Danko, Paul Robeson, Zarca, Griborsky, Copper River, Koraleva,Petrovich, Larissa,De Colgar Papuo. Growing 3 of each. Thanks Gerardo. Again.
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2016   #18
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

List will change but here is tentative...

Repeats

Black Cherry
Brads Black Heart
Rebel Yell
Indigo Cherry
Pink Berkeley Tie Dye
Grightmires Pride
Cherokee Black Heart
Sgt Peppers
Cows Tit
Not Purple Strawberry
Neves Azorean Red
Wes
Paul Robeson
Brandywine Sudduth

New to me
Esterina Cherry
Marzano Fire
Jersey Devil
Opalka

And some peppers.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2016   #19
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

We eat a lot of cherry tomato salads (and bowls and bowls as snacks, so I always grow lots of them!) Here is my list so far, with a few questions...

Sungold
SnowWhite
Sweet Million
Blush
Maglia Rosa
Purple Bumblebee
Lucky Tiger

Copper River
Striped Roman
Black Krim
Zapotec
Lindy's Little Krim
Striped German

And for yellows, I'm undecided: pork chop? yellow furry boar? tax? dr. Whyches?

For a nice red, I'm wondering about Maya and Sion's Airdrie Classic or Rebel Yell. I wish I could grow both, but I don't have quite enough room... I might knock out one of the cherries for it though!

Hearts and Pastes never do well for me, I have a hot summer with long days, but a shorter growing season. I love super sweet full flavoured tomatoes that are good producers, and gush for anything striped. Any suggestions or substitutions for what I have are welcome!

Last edited by LindyAdele; November 24, 2016 at 09:46 AM.
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2016   #20
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyAdele View Post
We eat a lot of cherry tomato salads (and bowls and bowls as snacks, so I always grow lots of them!) Here is my list so far, with a few questions...

Sungold
SnowWhite
Sweet Million
Blush
Maglia Rosa
Purple Bumblebee
Lucky Tiger

Copper River
Striped Roman
Black Krim
Zapotec
Lindy's Little Krim
Striped German

For a nice red, I'm wondering about Maya and Sion's Airdrie Classic or Rebel Yell. I wish I could grow both, but I don't have quite enough room... I might knock out one of the cherries for it though!

Hearts and Pastes never do well for me, I have a hot summer with long days, but a shorter growing season. I love super sweet full flavoured tomatoes that are good producers, and gush for anything striped. Any suggestions or substitutions for what I have are welcome!
Trying the Copper River and Rebel Yell this year and loved the striped German although the Brandywine was better producer for me. Probably wet cool nights made difference. Good luck! This year.
Old November 24, 2016   #21
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Default Variety

Quote:

Sungold
SnowWhite
Sweet Million
Blush
Maglia Rosa
Purple Bumblebee
Lucky Tiger

Copper River
Striped Roman
Black Krim
Zapotec
Lindy's Little Krim
Striped German

Trying the Copper River and Rebel Yell this year and loved the striped German although the Brandywine was better producer for me. Probably wet cool nights made difference. Good luck! This year.
Old November 24, 2016   #22
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
I LOVE Copper River, it's almost my only Must-Grow. You have to wait until it starts to turn rusty on the outside for best flavour. They are slow to ripen, but have great productivity for me! Mine are not determinate... sometimes I read that they are. I'm not sure that they are different from Ananas Noir, as I've never grown that one myself. I have never actually tried a Brandywine!
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2016   #23
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for info lindyAdele. Was so happy to get Copper River from our border buddy the G man.lol. Striped German should grow great there! I'll be looking for the rusty tomato! Have 6 hr road trip today. Good luck!
Old November 24, 2016   #24
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Rebel Yell is very good, but Pink. Our choices for top reds (besides the ones we are developing) are Big Beef F1 and Cosmonaut Volkov

Quote:
I LOVE Copper River, it's almost my only Must-Grow. You have to wait until it starts to turn rusty on the outside for best flavour. They are slow to ripen, but have great productivity for me! Mine are not determinate... sometimes I read that they are. I'm not sure that they are different from Ananas Noir, as I've never grown that one myself. I have never actually tried a Brandywine!
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2016   #25
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Default More maters please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Rebel Yell is very good, but Pink. Our choices for top reds (besides the ones we are developing) are Big Beef F1 and Cosmonaut Volkov
Hi Fred growing the CV this year . Do you have recommendations for some of your great creations for my climate.? Thanks good luck and happy t day.
Old November 24, 2016   #26
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Are you right on the coast, in Santa Maria? Your area has so many micro-climates. Are you in a warm inland spot, or a coastal (or windy) site?

Our initial breeding was done in foggy bay area sites, so many of our varieties do well in cooler weather.

I think overall, if you haven't grown any of our varieties, I would start out with Sunrise Bumblebee and Orange Jazz.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #27
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Fred, we are in town , straight 8 mile from pacific with no hills so yes we are directly affected by coastal influences. Similar daytime temps to Santa Barbara average 10 degrees cooler at night. Occasionally fog but wet nightly . No AC in homes don't use heating except to knock off early am chill and that's for few minutes and very rare. Always warm by 9 am. Garden is southfacing sun all day and toasty but 85 is hot for us. Haven't used fireplace in 30 years. Strawberrys grown right in open fields year round. Grew pbtd striped German brandywine Cherokee purple . Pbtd did great brandywine good striped German not so much and Cherokee purple last in production. Hope that helps and yeah microclimates galore on coast! Thanks for your time Fred.
Old November 25, 2016   #28
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Fred fruit set a little tricky due to overnight temps . Getting temps close to 60 degrees for 2 consecutive nights not easy here. Lol.
Old November 25, 2016   #29
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

In PNW (Seattle area ) Night temps in July and August seldom stayed over 60F. In April, May June always night temperatures were around 55F. Despite that I had ripe tomatoes around mid July.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2016   #30
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

So far my for sure I'm gonna grow is:

Cherokee Purple
ISPL
Black Krim
Prudens Purple
Lucid Gem
Blue Beauty