Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 5, 2018   #91
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Tried the only GWR in the Burpee display last summer. Green Envy Hybrid.

SMall plums shape with nipple. Difficult to know when ripe. We taste tested until we knew exactly the color to look for. A unripe green one was a SPITTER, yuc. An over ripe was very golden-green, and mushy and off flavored. ---We learned the look of the "just right"and it was wonderful. Kept us looking for more perfectly ripe.

Trying others for 2018.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2018   #92
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Since my previous post I have found atrue GWR. That is ARGG. I grew it 2017 and loved it. Unlike Green Zebra (my 1st gwr) this one was sweet , juicy and not sour and mooshy. So obviously I am growing it again this year, along with AN. No more Green Copia either.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019   #93
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Finally growing the aforementioned Antonovka Medovaya this year. Yes it is very prolific after a slow start.. Producing new fruits now that the season is winding down.
Pretty light green balls which almost glow in the dark.
Really curious about the taste..!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019   #94
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

I have grown ARGG for a few yrs. and it is very good - I would like better production. This yr also grew Dwarf Summertime green which I find very tasty and more productive than ARGG. Next yr will grow both again. With both you gotta keep a eye on them - naturally searching for rose color and keep walking by the GWR!!
Pete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019   #95
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I also got Boloto, Green Grape and Lucky Tiger growing.. (Not sure if latter is really counted among the GWR)
Boloto has large, catfaced fruits while Green Grape produces tidy oval or cherry shaped ones.
I've got seeds for a couple of other GWR as well, some have been waiting patiently on the shelf for years...
Charlie Green and Humph among others..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019   #96
Bruinwar
Tomatovillian™

ARRG. One of my top three favorite tomatoes (I don't have a favorite). I canned 7 quarts of juice last night. Green tomato juice. Freaks people out. We have a tomato tasting this Sunday & I always bring some juice. Little cups of ARRG juice next to the samples. It's a crowd pleaser. My avatar is two Aunt Ruby's. Those tomatoes may very well have been the best tomatoes I've ever ate. So sweet that they almost tasted like a melon.

Green Giant was good with huge fruit, tasted great, but didn't produce enough. After catching up on this thread I might try Cherokee Green next year.

-joe

Last edited by Bruinwar; August 23, 2019 at 07:45 AM.
Bruinwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019   #97
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Joe,

You should also try to get a hold of Spear's Tennessee Green for next year.
One of the best tasting green when ripes around...
It has the similar amber blush on the blossom end when ripe as you see in many other GWR.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2019   #98
Bruinwar
Tomatovillian™

Spear's Tennessee Green... looks interesting. As things worked out I seem to grow so many HUGE varieties, this might be a good choice. Thanks!
Bruinwar is offline   Reply With Quote