Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 1, 2007   #31
Ruby
Tomatovillian™

Just had my first little fruits show up....on Stick!

It's the plant that will not die. I started it last year, never got any fruit, but kept it going. Guess shaking the plant works :-)

I'm still going to try the toothbrush thing...
Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2007   #32
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

It's been muggy as heck the past few days with evening lows near 70, which is not ideal for tomato fruitset. But just wait, this weekend we are expected to drop into mid-40's at night and 60's during the day. I'm hoping for another wave of fruitset.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2007   #33
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Like you, I am expecting some cooler temps, but I dont like what I see on the radar. Could be some heavy heavy rain here in the next couple days and as the system builds it could be even heavier in your area feldon. We will see
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2007   #34
CLa
Tomatovillian™

First blooms on Aunt Gerties Gold seem to be dropping Cherries are setting fruit of course)
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2007   #35
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Raining today and more expected on Saturday.

You and Suze are expected to get rain Thursday, Friday AND Saturday.
Old April 4, 2007   #36
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Somewhat unpredicted for Saturday, we will see. Looking at the weather at the moment, looks like if I am really lucky, I'll miss this wave of rain south of us, but if it turns slightly north, it will get us.
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2007   #37
duajones
Tomatovillian™

NBD has finally joined the party and has several blossoms that dont look like will drop. Now if only my 4ft Brandywine would join in. Here are a few pics of fruit off of various plants.
cherokee purple

bush early girl

jetstar

bigbeef

sungold
Old April 4, 2007   #38
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Great growing Duajones!!!
Looks like you got your 2007 party started for sure !

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2007   #39
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Oh no... the big guns are cocked.

I'm out of ammo as of yesterday, when I picked a small bunch of late-season Russian Reds.

So, be nice, no drooler pics please.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2007   #40
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I believe you provided the drooler pics that had me needing to change my keyboard at one point Grub. But honestly, while I am happy with my progress to this point, it is still early and while I am optimistic, there is still a ways to go. I have been picking stink bugs and hornworms off of my plants already, so still not sure what to expect. I hope to post more drooler pics if indeed it is appropriate. Wish me luck.

Duane
Old April 4, 2007   #41
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Duane -- quite impressive, and you've even got cukes! Much of my fruitset is still at the pea sized stage, and mostly on cherry/early/dwarf types.

Everything looks great.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2007   #42
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I am green with envy! You know that term "mixed emotions"? I am feelin' em. You are already reaping the rewards of everything you've learned since last year. I'm really impressed and you definitely got the jump on me and Suze as far as timing!

Only my Jet Stars are anywhere near as large as what you've got. I do have some Cherokee Purples set but they are barely pea-sized.

For the hornworms, get out there with BT (Dipel Dust) powder or liquid concentrate if you have a pump sprayer. Do you have any signs of Early Blight yet? Are you spraying weekly with daconil?
Old April 5, 2007   #43
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I have been religious with my daconil program and am spraying every 7 days with all of the humid weather we have had. I have removed some foliage on the bottom of a few plants that may have been early blight. I have also removed foliage that had grown to the point that they were touching the ground. I did however make a mistake concerning spacing in my main bed. I can see already that it is going to be a problem. I can hardly get around the plants already and its still early. You can see what I mean looking at this pic

Old April 5, 2007   #44
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Your plants are looking fantastic. I do think you have a job ahead of you keeping the plants from flopping over, but that just looks like a great stand of tomato plants and diligent staking will keep things under control (I hope!).

I'm working on making my last few cages and then it's time to go out there and install the 16 cages. If this weekend turns out to be nothing but rain, I am going to cover my cages with clear plastic to divert the water away. The plants have plenty of water already and any more is just washing nutrients out of the soil.

Cages (even if you make them yourself) are rather expensive. This 100 foot roll of 5' galvanized fence material was $70 at Home Depot. As I get towards the center, it's wound more tightly and it's getting harder to make cages out of it. I should get a good 24-26 cages out of it (especially if I make a few of these cages more like 18-20" instead of the 24" I have been doing), plus I had some cages I made last year which I am modifying.
Old April 5, 2007   #45
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Duajones !!!

Those plants are looking great!!! Keep up the good work !
WOW ! I can't wait !!!

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote