Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 6, 2019   #31
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=SueCT;743256]Trying these for the first time. Mine look green, dark purplish at one end like these. Can anyone post a picture of them when fully, perfect eating ripe? Should have paid more attention, I didn't realize they were not red grapes, which is what I was looking for. But who knows, I might love them when I learn to tell they are ripe enough to eat.

Sorry, I just saw the picture from GrowingCoastal. Will the dark purple ones on the lower right turn more reddish brown like the ones on the upper left when they are ripe?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Even when they turn colour I test with a light squeeze. They give just a little when ready to pick.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2019   #32
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Trying these for the first time. Mine look green, dark purplish at one end like these. Can anyone post a picture of them when fully, perfect eating ripe? Should have paid more attention, I didn't realize they were not red grapes, which is what I was looking for. But who knows, I might love them when I learn to tell they are ripe enough to eat.

Sorry, I just saw the picture from GrowingCoastal. Will the dark purple ones on the lower right turn more reddish brown like the ones on the upper left when they are ripe?[/QUOTE]
Yes. Even when they turn colour I test with a light squeeze. They give just a little when ready to pick.
I find myself not disliking GWR, but they are generally on the lower end of my preferred list. Of the 20 or 30 GWRs I've tried. BAG is the only green (I think it's considered a GWR?) that is on my must grow return list. After that maybe, Dwarf Jade Beauty.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2019   #33
arnorrian
Tomatovillian™

arnorrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2019   #34
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing these for the first time this year thanks to pmcgrady. I really like them, they are the tastiest blues or greens whatever they are. No the colors are dull, they don't look anything like the pics in catalogs/online sites but the taste makes up for it. I'll be growing it again.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote