Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 14, 2009   #1
arlinek
Tomatovillian™

Default San Diego: Corn size about 50% less

This is our 3rd year growing Sugar Dots corn, which we like very much. We've normally grown them very successfully in two long rows - I know, not the "best" way. Soooo, this year I told DH to plant in three long rows for better pollination. We normally just fertilize when first planting from seed and then no more, but with great success and full-size ears nevertheless. This year, however, planting in three long rows, the corn ears are much shorter than ever before. Most of the ears are 1/2 the normal length, some even a little less than that. And only a sparse few 2nd ears whereas previously we've often had a 2nd ear with only TWO rows at that. Any guess why this has happened? Still tastes good but just so small. No bugs to speak of. Thanks.

arline
arlinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2009   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

arline,

It is best to have as "square" planting areas as possible, for better pollination. I see some people plant a single row, 30 feet long, and wonder why they get poor yields. I group my CornTainers together as much as possible to get better pollination.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2009   #3
Robert Brenchley
Tomatovillian™

Are all the seeds swelling? If they are, I wouldn't imagine the problem is pollination.
Robert Brenchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2009   #4
arlinek
Tomatovillian™

Rob't: Not sure I under the question, but I'll try. The very short ears are fully developed, no bare ends with undeveloped kernels, if that's what you mean. They are just so much shorter than normal (the ears). The stalks were of normal height.
rnewste: Yes, I know square is better but we had such previous success with only TWO rows in the past so this year we increased to 3 rows, but to poor results. And, these ARE planted in the ground, not a container.
arlinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2009   #5
oc tony
Tomatovillian™

I'm just guessing at what the problem might be. It might be a lack of sunlight. I live about 80 miles north of San Diego. The last two months have been the worst that I can remember for June gloom(two or more months with 0 to 4 hours of direct sunlight for the day).
oc tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2009   #6
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Maybe its not really 'Sugar Dots" corn seed but something similar?? We hear about tomato seeds not growing true all the time, so isnt it possible you have the same problem with your corn seed ??

It may be smaller but hopefully will still taste as good!!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote