Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 21, 2007   #16
MawkHawk
Tomatovillian™

Mark, my beet tops usually grow about 8"x8", but I space them about 3", so you can grow a lot in a small area.

I love beets and there are a lot of varieties to choose from. My fav is Cylindra because it produces a really long root and it is easy to peel. I also love Chioggia, which is a really sweet red / white striped beet. I'm trying Golden this year too.
Old February 21, 2007   #17
honu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Beet greens are wonderful. Better than any other green. I'm not particularly fond of beets but I love the greens.
LoreD, I agree 100%!

Quote:
It's hard to tell from Honu's pictures how big a beet plant gets...height and width????
Adenn1, The container in the photo is 15" diameter, and about 12" deep, and the leaves of the Chioggia are about 8" long on average. The leaves of Golden were larger than Chioggia. I keep a tray of water under the pot, to keep the bottom moist like a self-watering container would, since I read "they turn woody and bitter if they lack water at any time" (Edward Smith, "Incredible Vegetables from Self-Watering Containers"). The Golden had larger and tastier leaves, but the Chioggia beet root was much sweeter than Golden.
I pull them when the beets are about an inch and a half diameter, as I read (in the E. Smith book) this is when the beets taste best.

I seed them about 2 - 3 inches apart, but each seed can grow several plants, so you still end up w/ crowded beets. I don't bother to thin, since I don't care what shape the beets form. To me, everything turns out just fine, even if crowded and some beets are odd shaped.

You can also clip the young tender baby greens to add to salads.

Also, Sandhill sells Lutz.
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2007   #18
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Thank you both for the information on size and such...buying beets just gave me another reason to place a small order with another seed company I wanted to do business with this year.

I suppose beets are simlar to radishes and like a lighter soil...so I may have to "liberate" some leaf mold compost from my neighboring township. My darn gray clay soil gets dry and it turns harder than concrete
Old February 21, 2007   #19
honu
Tomatovillian™

Adenn, If you are planning to grow beets in the ground, the following info might be helpful, from Edward Smith, "The Vegetable Gardener's Bible":
"Beets prefer a light soil with a pH of between 6.5 and 7.5. Research at Cornell University has shown that the roots of beets can grow as much as 3 feet into the soil, a fact that emphasizes the benefits of gardening in deeply dug, wide, raised beds.... Good companions: Bush bean, caggage family, corn, leek, lettuce, lima bean, onions, radish.... Bad companions: Mustard, pole bean.... Rotation considerations: Avoid following spinach or Swiss chard."
I have hardpan clay and nematodes, so I prefer growing them in containers. The very loose soil in my containers make it really easy to pull up the beets. You might want to remove sharp rocks from your soil if you don't want your beets to be deformed.
Old February 21, 2007   #20
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

"The beauty of the beet:
All of it you can eat!"

I grew up eating the beet roots and the greens. My Dad liked to eat the leaf stems, too!

I also recommend Lutz Green Leaf. Burpee and Sand Hill Preservation carry it.

(Swiss Chard is related: just a "rootless" beet.)

GTG
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2007   #21
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

I love to eat baby beets with the greens still attached. I like them with a little bit of butter and vinegar.
I love beets too. Sometimes I crave them, and I love them with a salad.

Tyff
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2007   #22
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Adenn--Well worked soil is good for planting beets to give the roots plenty of room, but the beet itself often sits partially out of the soil--think of an iceberg. It is not totally buried like a potato would be. Beet "seeds" are actually fruits containg several seeds--thus you usually get several plants coming up in one spot and need to thin.

The red pigment in beets is beta cyanine. It is water soluble, heat stable, and acid stable--thus it survives the human digestive system in colorful fashion. Interestingly, the color of juice from red cabbage is pH dependent--it turns green at basic pH.

Beets are tasty most any way, IMHO.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2007   #23
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

I don't have the space to grow beets. If I did, I would grow the golden yellow kind which I had longtime ago. I don't remember the name.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2007   #24
honu
Tomatovillian™

I had always cooked beets and removed the skins, but now I wonder... Are beet skins actually good to eat? Are raw beets good eats?
Old March 29, 2007   #25
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Honu I think raw beets are good eats... grate them onto a salad, mix grated beets with fresh squeezed orange juice and a sprinkling of sugar, or throw them in the juicer. Beet juice is supposed to neutralize the negative effects of sodium nitrite (?) preservatives in meats like bacon... so if you like to eat that sort of thing, "they" say, wash it down with beet juice! I think I remember reading that they are very good for the gall bladder as well - helps prevent gall stones I think....

I won't say I don't like beet greens, but I do prefer chard or spinach. IMO they are much more tender and even tastier... but tastes do vary.

Lisa

Last edited by Miss_Mudcat; March 29, 2007 at 08:04 AM.
Miss_Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2007   #26
celestina
Tomatovillian™

Honu--

How big are the pots you are growing the beets in? How many do you thin down to--the beets look much better than what I plant in the ground
celestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2007   #27
honu
Tomatovillian™

Lisa, Thanks for the suggestions! You are right about the juice... I put some raw beets, apple and ginger in the juicer, and wow, that was good!

celestina, my pot is about 15" diameter, and 12"deep.
I didn't thin any.
Old April 5, 2007   #28
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Can you eat the young leaves raw - thrown into a salad?
Just like baby spinach?
Spatzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2007   #29
honu
Tomatovillian™

Spatzbear, Yes, the baby greens are delicious raw in salads.
Old April 5, 2007   #30
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Oh great! Thanks, Honu!
I shall go and pick some for tonight's meal then. There's plenty out there waiting to be picked.
Spatzbear is offline   Reply With Quote