Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 8, 2006   #16
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default It looks like it

Hi PP,
The shape is pretty close, but could it be that your plant was crossed or something?

I had the names or codes of each plant written on paper and taped to the straws in which they were sent but since it took over a year for the plants to grow the names faded.

Oh, well, no worries. I've saved seeds from the nice orange anyway. I have another of your mysteries setting oodles of fruit now, a curly, crinkled one that looks liike Monkey's Face. Should have some colour soon.

Or maybe it's a Tasmanian Hab? Are you still growing chillies?

Thanks for your time,
Grub
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2006   #17
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Grub, here you go:
http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/acc/acc_queries.html

Just type in the PI xxx (make sure there's a space after the PI) under Simple Queries.

Have fun.

Jennifer

PP sans peppers? Perish the thought!
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2006   #18
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Far out!!!

Thanks jennifer,

But far out brussel sprout! So much info. This is a whole new dangerous underground world

And now I know that one PP provided isn't it because mine's orange. I'm going to have fun tonight checking the numbers from other seeds PP send me.

Will do some serious PSI work to see what I have. Good thing is, I've had success at overwintering peppers in my mild climate.

Thanks, Grub
Old February 8, 2006   #19
cmpman1974
Tomatovillian™

Default Nice Pepper Pics

Patrina:

I scrolled back one pic looking at your album. Nice Tasmanian Habs!

Chris
cmpman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2006   #20
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Grub,

I've grown at least two baccatum PI#'d accessions that look exactly like your picture. Both came from the Aji Queen herself and were originally from the USDA seed bank.

Baccatums are known for their fruity smell too, but certainly not as strong as some chinense varieties.

Pod shape as an identifier is important of course, but to see 2 or 3 distinctly different shapes on the same plant is not all that unusual.

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2006   #21
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Gee

Wow! I had no idea you could get such wide variations from the one plant. Pretty exciting. Thanks for the lovely piccies.

I went through my secret seed safe are here's what pretty Patrina sent me:

Capsicum annum Grif 1598 01 SD ex-China
Capsicum annum PI 159231 01 SD ex-USA

Plus the seedlings mentioned in this thread.

Then this year I got some that sound amazing:

C.pubescens Dwarf Orange Manzana
C.pubescens Yellow Rocoto
C.pubescens PI 585274 USDA Ecuador (her fave!!!)
C.pubescens Red Rocoto
C.pubescens PI 585275 Ecuador

And here's a new pic of the other one I have growing that hasn't yet shown colour

Old February 9, 2006   #22
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

jt is the prince of pubescens, the master of manzanos, the regent of rocotos. So glad he has posted on your thread!

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={99EE1BFD-D83F-4CD6-9E4F-576C4CC8A599}&inv=785AB98DFC57127&userid={99EE1BFD-D83F-4CD6-9E4F-576C4CC8A599}&inv=785AB98DFC57127&albumid={31A4CF8 C-DE09-41DC-B9E8-8D5B10389158}&albumid={31A4CF8C-DE09-41DC-B9E8-8D5B10389158}

And darned good photographer to boot! You'll want to grow those C. pubescens now!

Jennifer
Old February 9, 2006   #23
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Oh My

Golly gosh yes, I see what you mean. I clicked on that link. All hail JT. The man is an artist. And expert.

Thanks for posting here JT. I will refer back often to your album for inspiration and just maybe a preview of what I have growing.

Best wishes, Grub.
Old February 9, 2006   #24
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Great article on Peruvian chiles, especially rocotos.
And recipes.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave2/peru2.asp

Jennifer
Old February 10, 2006   #25
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
jt is the prince of pubescens...
Jennifer,

LOL.. yeah right! Even after growing 35+ varieties of this species I am still totally puzzled about them. All I really know is that they are for the most part 2 year projects in Missouri (too warm here) and even though can keep them alive for years on end is hardly worth the effort for a container gardener like me. From now on I plan a two year rotation system. Production in the second year is astounding, but unfortunately in my experience goes downhill all too quickly from there.

Am only overwintering an Orange Rocoto, a Yellow Rocoto and two white flowered unnamed rocotos this winter. Quite a change from the 40 or so plants I usually overwinter.

Grub,

You will absolutely love this species. The pods are very meaty, tasty and can be incredibly hot. The Yellow Rocoto I'm overwintering is the decendent of a plant that produced pods up to 150 grams. And you were fortunate to get your seeds from a real expert grower.

jt
Old February 11, 2006   #26
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Excited

Thanks Jen and JT,
Great link and I posted it to my partner at work and she got really fired-up about the recipe for stuffed Rocotos (Rocotoes?). Sounds great. I guess the day or so of soaking is to help prevent the skins from burning or splitting.

JT,
I was thinking all weekend that at 150g each that's about six to the kilo so they are some really nice-sized peppers. Can't wait to grow them. And I have noticed the seeds are black as the thread says.

This is so exciting. Big hot peppers. I'm also going to grow some Chinese Giants in pots next season. I was imaging, while out at sea y'day, a salad of mixed strips of sweet and hot peppers to accompany something grilled and meaty. Mmmmm. Or some fish like mahi mahi or tuna. MMMMMM.

Best Wishes for your coming season,
Grub
Old February 11, 2006   #27
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

JT is an old friend. I haven't seen him on Gardenweb much lately. He sent me some beautiful Purple Jalapenos a couple of years ago. I threw the damp seed into a plastic bag and forgot about them. This year I decided to plant a few to see what would happen. I put about 200 seed in a tray and got about 200 plants. Now what on earth am I going to do with 200 Purple Jalapeno plants? One thing I will do is grow them next to my Purple Robe plants to see if I can get a cross. I'd love to have a deep purple plant with purple jalapeno fruit.

Otherwise, I guess I'll have to foist them off on unsuspecting clients. Not much foisting though, these were pretty decent peppers.

John,

The Yellow Rocoto peppers you sent me were unexpectedly useful. My daughter had an obnoxious boyfriend. I carried the peppers in the house and proceeded to tell the kids that these were uncommonly hot peppers. Boyfriend said he liked peppers and they didn't come too hot for him. I told him he didn't know what he was talking about (politely though). He just bragged more about how much he liked peppers. I handed him one of the Yellow Rocoto's and watched as he took a couple of bites. He managed to eat about 1/4 of the pepper before the heat hit him. He didn't know whether to go dive in the freezer or to try to swallow the creek. We spent the next 30 minutes giving him milk and butter to absorb the juice off his skin. His face turned red as a beet all around his mouth. About 2 weeks later, my daughter dumped him. She finally figured out he was a loud mouthed braggart. I figure the pepper helped her see the light.

Fusion - who needs to pack up another box of books and send them to JT.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2006   #28
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
JT,
I was thinking all weekend that at 150g each that's about six to the kilo so they are some really nice-sized peppers.
Grub,

I shouldn't have suggested that all the pods would be that large, and in fact is really rare to get that size. My largest ever yellow rocoto was about half that size and the majority are about one fourth. Still darn nice pods! Rather like growing tomatoes... keep saving seeds from plants that grow large fruit and eventually you might be blessed with great seed. C. pubescens has been cultivated for a longer time than any other capsicum species and is only natural to save seed from the best pods.

Fusion,

I am still reading books from that box you sent me! Your gift was so totally unexpected and I sure owe you big time.

My memory is failing me again & I can't remember what is called, but C. pubescens have another heat producing substance in addition to capsaicin. Some people are more genetically disposed to feeling this sweet pain than others. Am guessing obnoxious boyfriend might have been one of those 'fortunate' people.

Crossing.... would I ever like to have say a Datil or Scotch Bonnet/Rocoto cross! You betcha!

jt
Old February 12, 2006   #29
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Went from here to another forum I read daily and wouldn't you know that this link was just posted by great cook RisaG: http://www.thehotzoneonline.com/blog...-to-hot-spicy/
Old February 12, 2006   #30
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Grub
Great to see a pepper forum. Love it.
Heres another site with good stuff pepper wise.
http://www.pepperfool.com/
My Jalapenos are sooo slooow to produce. Don't know if this is normal or not as I have not grown them before.
Mantis
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote