Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 25, 2006   #1
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Aussie Pepper Update Thread

I have a spare front garden bed that faces the street. It's usually home to annuals as it forms part of my home's facade. The good news is that this year it will harbour hot and/or sweet peppers. What I really need to know is which look best, are showy, have some plant shape and might generally look good this summer?

Thanks in advance. I am posting my final lists of sown peppers here and will ammend that if there's a no-show or some other freak thing.

HOT PEPPERS
1. Yellow Rocoto
2. C. Pube PI 585275
3. C.Pube PI 58274
4. Rocoto Red
5. Kogsolai
6. Golden Cayenne
7. C.Pube Dswarf Orange Manzana (c/ Chillichick)
8. Jamaican Hot Chocolate
9. Anaheim
10. Fish
11. Nu Mex Big Jim
12. Peruvian Purple
13. Safi
14. Red Fatalli
15. Variegata (presume this one looks good)
16. Hawaiian
17. Waialua

SWEET PEPPERS
1. Golden Marcono
2. Cornodi Toro Red
3. Ariane (bell)
4. Jimmy Nardello
5. Sweet Red Marconi
6. Sweet Chocoloate (bell)
7. Chinese Giant (bell)
8. Bull Nose
9. Sweet Lipstick
10. Purple Beauty (bell)
11. Chervena Chuska
12. Pimento Red Ruffled
13. Red Cheese.

SECOND SOWING
(Mix of hot and sweet)

EDIT Note: Those in ITALICS are a no show after 10 days.

1. Tam Jalapeno
2. Sonora
3. Garden Salsa Hybrid
4. Mariachi
5. Habanero Congo Black
6. Kung Pao
7. Mulato Isleno Chile Pepper
8. Cherrapeno (C.annum)
9. Ring of Fire
10. Aji Cachucha (C. chinense)
11. Aji Dulce (C. chinense)
12. De Arbol
13. Hot Portugal (C.annum)
14. Madame Jeanette (C. chinense)
15. Amazon Chile Roma
16. Marconi Red
17. Lipstick
18. Jimmy Nardello
Ends.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2006   #2
Glenn 50
Tomatovillian™

No Joe E Parker?
Never mind despite the omission you have Rocotos..the greatest hot pepper on earth,,,not that I'm biased..
Great list.
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2006   #3
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I have Peruvian Purples on front of the house. I grow these just for the looks. Because the peppers have thin walls and are full of seeds, I am not planning to harvest them.

All C. pubescens look good with their hairy leaves and purple flowers.
svalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2006   #4
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your input.

Glenn,
If you read this where do I get Joe E Parker?

Now for the bad news. Those in bold are the only ones that germinated after one month. So this is it. I have included the number of seedlings I have of each in brackets, too.

Still, some good ones in there

HOT PEPPERS
1. Yellow Rocoto

I was told to grow as many C. Pube's/Rocotos as I can, so I will grew the three that germinated (in bold) in this list
2. C. Pube PI 585275 (x3)
3. C.Pube PI 58274 (x3)
4. Rocoto Red
5. Kogsolai
6. Golden Cayenne
7. C.Pube Dwarf Orange Manzana (c/ Chillichick) (x2)
8. Jamaican Hot Chocolate (x1)
These shiny, habanero-type peppers are deep chocolate-brown when ripe and ribbed or wrinkled, resembling large dates or prunes. Fruits are 1-1/2 to 2 inches long and with an extremely hot Caribbean flavor that is strong and smoky. Those in the know say that Jamaican Hot Chocolate makes a great hot sauce. This strain originated from a pepper found in a market in Port Antonio, Jamaica. 85 days.
9. Anaheim (x3)
Also know as the "New Mexican Chile," this moderately pungent fruit is deep green, but turns red at full maturity. Very smooth peppers are 7-1/2 inches long and 2 inches wide and borne on tall, productive plants that offer good foliage cover for the fruit. Tobacco mosaic virus resistant. Excellent for canning, freezing or drying. 75 days.
10. Fish (x1)
Very unusual and ornamental pepper plant is variegated both on the foliage and the peppers themselves. Both leaves and fruit are striped with creamy white and green, with the peppers eventually turning orange-red. Very hot fruit, 1 to 2 in. long, was used to season fish and shellfish in the African-American communities around Baltimore and Philadelphia back in the 1930's and 1940's. Plants are attractive enough just to be used as ornamentals, but peppers are prized for use in cooking. 75 days.
11. Nu Mex Big Jim (x2)
NuMex Big Jim - #9522 (30 seeds) $2.05
The largest of New Mexican varieties, this pepper has pods up to 12 inches long that weigh as much as 4 ounces. Their size makes them a favorite for chiles rellenos. Medium hot pungency. As an advantage, plants are able to set fruit under hot, dry conditions. 80 days.

12. Peruvian Purple (x6)
plants grows to 18–24" and produces 1" x ½" fruits. Striking, tall plant has purple, foliage and deep purple fruits that turn to red when mature. Produces stubby, upright fruits that are mildly hot. A beautiful ornamental that can be grown indoors as a house plant. Perennial in warmer climates.
13. Safi (x3)
This African Scotch Bonnet type is a real scorcher. Plants carry an abundance of two by three inch dented peppers that are green, eventually turning an appropriate bright red. Off the charts on the hotness meter.
14. Red Fatalli (x2)
This is description for yellow f. Fiery hot, wrinkled yellow peppers are related to habanero, and are at least as hot if not hotter. The searing heat has an excellent, citrus-like flavor that can be appreciated in the seconds before the heat sets in. Originally from Africa, these plants become 3 to 4 feet tall, maturing abundant crops of fruit earlier than plants of habanero. Peppers are 2 to 3 inches long with a wide top that tapers down to a point, and are shriveled all over. 80 days.
15. Variegata (varied foliage looks good) (x3)
16. Hawaiian
17. Waialua

SWEET PEPPERS
1. Golden Marcono
2. Cornodi Toro Red
3. Ariane (bell)
4. Jimmy Nardello
5. Sweet Red Marconi
6. Sweet Chocoloate (bell)
7. Chinese Giant (bell)
8. Bull Nose
9. Sweet Lipstick
10. Purple Beauty (bell)
11. Chervena Chuska (x4)
The best performing pepper during the record-setting cold and wet summer of 2004 at Heritage Farm. Bulgarian heirloom, traditionally used for roasting but also a great sweet pepper. Flesh is bright-red and very sweet, almost candy-like. Tapered fruits that are 2" at the shoulder by 6" long, ripens from green to brown to bright red. 85 days from transplant. Heat Scale: Sweet...0-1-2-3-4-5...Hot.
12. Pimento Red Ruffled (x4)
sweet; Cheese/Tomato-Shaped Type; 1.5 to 2 inches long by 3 to 3.5 inches wide; very thick flesh; matures from green to red; pendant pods; green leaves; 18 to 24 inches tall; Mid Season; Uses: Pimento, Small Stuffing; fruits have scalloped edges; C.annuum.
13. Red Cheese (x2)
80 days. Candy-sweet, round, flat, 3", pimento-type peppers that have thick, red flesh, great for stuffing or fresh eating. So good, they are almost addictive. Very productive plants. Once used to color cheese.

Ends.
Old September 26, 2006   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Hi grub I saw your post and thought I would chime in.
I think that the ones that look the best are the peppers that the fruit have an upright growth habit.
The list below is for hot peppers that I am going to pick through, (well maybe not) LOL and grow along the front of my yard and along the side by the drive way.
I saw a picture of a university that had planted some of these out in front of the buildings in place of flowers, it looked just grand.
I got this list from TGS who as you know is listed on this forum.
They have pictures of them as well.
I hope this helps.

Bolivian Rainbow
Bulgarian Carrot
Chilly Chili Hybrid
Filus Blue
Little Elf
Marbles
Medusa
NuMex Centennial
NuMex Sunburst
NuMex Sunflare
NuMex Twilight
Poinsettia
Pretty Purple Pepper
Riot
Tabasco
Thai Hot

Later,
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2006   #6
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Worth.

Purple goes well with our house so I separated all the Peruvian Purple seedlings (six) and the Variegata seedings (3 or 4), plus I might add a Fish pepper to the front bed.

I'll endeavour to post a pic. There might be a few roses trying to poke their noses out of the devillish display, but I think it will work well.

Let's compare notes.
Old October 12, 2006   #7
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the descriptions; I am just getting into peppers and all these reccomendations are just what I need. Keep up the good work.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2006   #8
Grub
Tomatovillian™

I don't know what came over me but I sowed another bunch to add to my pepper list at the top of this thread.

I am going to edit that list for my future reference.

After three days #3 is showing in the second sowing below. I will ammend this list if there is a no-show or two.

Peppers are go.

Second Chilli Sowing

1. Tam Jalapeno
2. Sonora
3. Garden Salsa Hybrid
4. Mariachi
5. Habanero Congo Black
6. Kung Pao
7. Mulato Isleno Chile Pepper
8. Cherrapeno (C.annum)
9. Ring of Fire
10. Aji Cachucha (C. chinense)
11. Aji Dulce (C. chinense)
12. De Arbol
13. Hot Portugal (C.annum)
14. Madame Jeanette (C. chinense)
15. Amazon Chile Roma
16. Marconi Red
17. Lipstick
18. Jimmy Nardello
Old November 7, 2006   #9
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Grub,

your post is truly inspiring - I got a serious urge to go and plant some peppers myself - took me several minutes to resist (and I know I wouldn't have been able to resist the temptation if I didn't know I'd have to go to India in January, these darn business trips... )

Great list! I think now I will not be able to resist a temptation to buy some new pepper seeds...

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2006   #10
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

You are a confirmed pepper nutcase. Mantis
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2006   #11
Earl
Tomatovillian™

So, once you get them all grown, and they're all sitting there red-hell-fire-looking and ready to burn you from a to a whatcha gonna do. LOL.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2006   #12
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Earl-Hope he has the North American/Mexican remedy for it! As my wife says (who is from Mexico) Me Chile!
Old November 11, 2006   #13
Grub
Tomatovillian™

I'm gonna sit on an inflated tyre tube and just let them burn.

Burn, baby, burn.
Old November 11, 2006   #14
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Grub-If you are that into chile, I should send you some of my mother-in-law's chile pequin. It grows wild in her backyard, is very small and is very hot. Also very flavorable.

I live about 60 minutes, from Hatch, New Mexico, the green chile capital of the world and 40 minutes from the university in Las Cruces where a lot of green chile was researched. I see you don't have Joe Parker.

"Developed by the NMSU in honor of Mr Joe E. Parker of Las Cruces, New Mexico, a 1950 graduate of NMSU's College of Agriculture and Home Economics. Parker evaluated this specific selection. This cultivar is an improved version of the 'New Mexico 6-4', the standard chile cultivar for southern New Mexico. The plants are medium tall and very productive producing 15-20cm long peppers which ripen from bright green through mahogany to red in approx 80 days.It has thicker walls, more flesh and longer peppers than the original. This pepper is excellent for roasting, stuffing or chopping for a variety of dishes and is commonly used in New Mexico to make the dried pepper wreaths. Mild pungency 1000 SHU"

Pm me if you want Joe Parker, and I will find some seed, which will be easy, and send them to you. Let me know if you want seed from my mother-in-law of her chile pequin.
Old November 11, 2006   #15
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Great pepper news, Grub. Recognized a 'few' on your list. Fess up that some of those chinense are non-incendiary.

Jennifer, grinning widely and expecting culinary reports (pretty please)

Oh, and does Mrs Grub know that the 'sting' of the incendiary peppers as well as curry transfers through breast milk? Pros and cons to that....
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote