Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 8, 2018   #181
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

We have been slicing into some darn good Brandywine Sudduth's this year, excellent taste. I had a selection in 2016 that threw a nicer shaped tomato than the other plants, these also have a pretty nice shape, and the taste is second to none.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2018   #182
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
It was bred in NL. Now I do suspect it may have Stupice (Czech) in it's close lineage. There's just too many similarities.
That is real possibility, but the taste is much different than any Stupice I have tried over the course of several years of trying different Stupice.
Old July 9, 2018   #183
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
We have been slicing into some darn good Brandywine Sudduth's this year, excellent taste. I had a selection in 2016 that threw a nicer shaped tomato than the other plants, these also have a pretty nice shape, and the taste is second to none.
Funny you say that Mark. Sudduth's is my best flavored heirloom this year.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018   #184
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Mark, I know I've asked this before, but how many rows of bags would you put into a 30' wide greenhouse?
I'm thinking it was 5, but 6 would fit if you had 4' of space between rows. That would leave 2' on the edge of the outside two rows before the sidewalls.
Old July 9, 2018   #185
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Mark, I know I've asked this before, but how many rows of bags would you put into a 30' wide greenhouse?
I'm thinking it was 5, but 6 would fit if you had 4' of space between rows. That would leave 2' on the edge of the outside two rows before the sidewalls.
It is 5, and with two plants per bag comes out to 10 rows. Those 5 foot wide rows almost disappear.

How are your plants doing?
Old July 9, 2018   #186
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Yeah I thought so. I found it on the manual after I thought about it.
Plants are doing really well. Hybrids are machines. And the taste is very good.
We have been dodging heat this summer so far, so the splitting has been minimal on heirlooms.
I’m looking to do a 180 next year and devote a 30x72 to do tomato production after all.
Gonna do hybrid beefsteaks because I have a buyer lined up that will pay a great price to make it worth it. That and my dad is retired and looking to help with production and delivery which makes it a green light for 2019.
This years crop was just for fun and eating/sharing. I almost gave up last year. Fruit splitting was horrendous on the heirlooms. Big beef was a beast and not one split. And the flavor surprised me and everyone that tried them. And now that I have my injectors dialed in this year, the light went off: I can crank out some poundage with these things. If I could just get a good price. Well that and some help from dad seems to be ready to roll.
Heirlooms just don’t work in my summers in bag culture.
I crossed a plattfoot with an orange jazz just to see what it was like to do a cross.
Planted the f1 seeds this morning. More or less just wanted
to go through the process one time, so I have no plans for it really. It’ll be cool to see and taste the f1 fruit in a few months.

Last edited by PureHarvest; July 9, 2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old July 9, 2018   #187
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yeah I thought so. I found it on the manual after I thought about it.
Plants are doing really well. Hybrids are machines. And the taste is very good.
We have been dodging heat this summer so far, so the splitting has been minimal on heirlooms.
I’m looking to do a 180 next year and devote a 30x72 to do tomato production after all.
Gonna do hybrid beefsteaks because I have a buyer lined up that will pay a great price to make it worth it. That and my dad is retired and looking to help with production and delivery which makes it a green light for 2019.
This years crop was just for fun and eating/sharing. I almost gave up last year. Fruit splitting was horrendous on the heirlooms. Big beef was a beast and not one split. And the flavor surprised me and everyone that tried them. And now that I have my injectors dialed in this year, the light went off: I can crank out some poundage with these things. If I could just get a good price. Well that and some help from dad seems to be ready to roll.
Heirlooms just don’t work in my summers in bag culture.
I crossed a plattfoot with an orange jazz just to see what it was like to do a cross.
Planted the f1 seeds this morning. More or less just wanted
to go through the process one time, so I have no plans for it really. It’ll be cool to see and taste the f1 fruit in a few months.
Very good, I am happy you are on your way.

You cannot go wrong with Big Beef, another great Hybrid is Mountain Fresh, it is semi determinate though, but is a tomato machine and taste great.

Post some pics when you get time. I am going to post some cucumber pics this evening, they are loaded big time.

Well, good luck for the rest of the season.
Old July 9, 2018   #188
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

English, Asian, and standard cucumbers for eating, and Gerkin's for pickles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY2015.jpg (402.1 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg SANY2014.jpg (338.2 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg SANY2013.jpg (442.9 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg SANY2012.jpg (363.2 KB, 246 views)
Old July 9, 2018   #189
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

The spread, zucchini, beans and all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY2019.jpg (416.9 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg SANY2020.jpg (477.3 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg SANY2027.jpg (505.9 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg SANY2025.jpg (470.5 KB, 249 views)
Old July 11, 2018   #190
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

If you have not tried Damsel give it a try, it is one of the best hybrids I have had in a long time.
Old July 11, 2018   #191
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Outdoor Pics ;-)

LOL Mark. I have not followed prior threads in while, but I was under the impression you strictly grow indoors to control your ~enviroment~

Watch you surprise me next and I'll see plantings in native dirt ;0
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018   #192
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
Outdoor Pics ;-)

LOL Mark. I have not followed prior threads in while, but I was under the impression you strictly grow indoors to control your ~enviroment~

Watch you surprise me next and I'll see plantings in native dirt ;0
I guess I need to show my outdoor tomatoes now? LOL Peppers too. I have actually grown quite a bit right in the dirt. Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, onions, all do excellent up here. I think the record cabbage is over 110lbs, most of the crops I just mentioned get huge here.
Old July 12, 2018   #193
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

AKmark, do you know what one zucchini plant yield for you, on average? Or what are your expectations?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2018   #194
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Mark, are you able to achieve summer cooling/venting just using a fan on one end and louvered vents on the other?
I assume none of your structures have roll up sides.
I am looking to do production beginning in March next year. This will require heat, at night for sure, but I am wondering about the days that might be full sun and 60+
Right now my gable vents would open 1st. There’s a 4’ square vent at both gable ends, no fan. Next the sides would automatically roll up to cool if the automated end vents are not enough.
I’d like to fasten the sides down tight to the baseboards and especially the vertical parts of the ends so wind can’t get in when they are closed for heating.
I’m just wondering what I will need to do on warm sunny days if I don’t use the roll up sides early on. Just add a fan to one end to pull air through?
Old July 16, 2018   #195
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Mark, are you able to achieve summer cooling/venting just using a fan on one end and louvered vents on the other?
I assume none of your structures have roll up sides.
I am looking to do production beginning in March next year. This will require heat, at night for sure, but I am wondering about the days that might be full sun and 60+
Right now my gable vents would open 1st. There’s a 4’ square vent at both gable ends, no fan. Next the sides would automatically roll up to cool if the automated end vents are not enough.
I’d like to fasten the sides down tight to the baseboards and especially the vertical parts of the ends so wind can’t get in when they are closed for heating.
I’m just wondering what I will need to do on warm sunny days if I don’t use the roll up sides early on. Just add a fan to one end to pull air through?
I have done okay with temps around 90, this was a few years back. What you need is two 36 inch exhaust fans, the first one comes on first, if temps go higher the second would come on. This is better than the 48 inch fans I have, they use a tremendous amount of energy.

You are thinking right by starting earlier. besides just production, pack that thing with plants to roll into other GH's that do not have heat when it warms, you will be way ahead. I cram mine first ones full, then roll out around 1500 plants into other GH's. You can also grow other crops to roll out too.

Ella, I hope to get 20 zucs per plant. This is my first stab at container growing them. They are already producing and the plants look great, I will post some more pics soon.