Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 24, 2015   #1
exnavycook
Tomatovillian™

Default Seed Sharing

I was wondering how someone would start or get into seed sharing. I don't currently have any seeds but I'm just curious how I would start. This would be for personal use.
exnavycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

A lot of us folks here on Tomatoville love to share seeds. There are so many folks sharing that it can be a problem. The problem is that with several thousand varieties easily available from trading or gifts from other members, we can end up with more varieties than we can grow in several years. So, we must be careful and pick and choose with a keen eye on our available growing capabilities.

Learning how to properly save seeds for long term storage is essential. This will make our saved seeds wanted by potential traders. But, in the end, Tomatoville has more than its fair share of folks who just want to share their bounty. They extend their good feelings about their experiences with certain varieties by offering seeds with nothing required by the recipients but a thank you.

Each year, there are members like Carolyn137 who offer out wonderful new-to-most varieties to anyone who will send her a Self-Addressed-Stamped-Envelope. Other members offer out new varieties they discover for an SASE. Just lean back and enjoy these acts of love of the wonderful hobby and passion we all share called Tomatoes.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #3
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

Here is a link to the Trading forum here http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65 You can browse the lists and see what many are offering and what others are looking for in the way of seeds.

Then if you are currently growing any open-pollinated tomato varieties now is the time to learn how to collect, save, and store your seeds so that you will have seeds for trading next year. Here is a link to a good basic How-To article. https://www.mastergardeners.org/pdf/...mato_Seeds.pdf

Dave
Old June 24, 2015   #4
exnavycook
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guy's. I appreciate the info.
exnavycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #5
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

this is pretty awesome. actually totally awesome.
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Trading is one of my favorite things here at Tomatoville. I enjoy seed saving.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Exnavycook,

The first thing you should ask yourself is..."How many different tomato varieties am I going to plant in a year?"

From just a few, to maybe a few dozen, the Wanted forum is likely the best place to ask for seeds. If you want to plunge into the deep end (50 to 100+ varieties)...well, there are us enablers in the Mostly Mystery 'Mater Mailing swap who can push you there.

As host (and chief enabler) of the swap, I'll be posting a thread on the 2015 version likely in early September. That gives you a few months to figure out what tomatoes you would like (a wish list).

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #8
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

"If you want to plunge into the deep end (50 to 100+ varieties)...well, there are us enablers in the Mostly Mystery 'Mater Mailing swap who can push you there. " YES, Tormato is probably the chief enabler, closely followed by Ginger. I only had seeds for, maybe 20 varieties of tomatoes when I joined here. Now, I dunno, I stopped counting at 250..
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #9
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

I am drooling at the thought of having that many varieties of tomato...
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote