Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 22, 2015   #1
ChrisPlano
Tomatovillian™

Default Harvesting seed and turn-a-round time

Hi Tomatovillians. I'm new here. My first year growing tomatoes anywhere and especially here in the Dallas area. It's been very successful though! (I'm originally from the northeast, where good tomatoes are easier to find and I "helped" neighbors and family as a kid)

My question: I have some FABULOUS Paul Robesons. Everything may stop producing soon in the TX summer heat. I have the opportunity to plant for a fall harvest.

How quickly can I "turn around" on harvested seed? I've never done that but have read up on how to do it (with a fermentation time). Can I potentially have seed that can be started within a few wees and start them indoors for a fall planting? Or do they really need to dry for next year?

Yes, here in TX we have the opportunity for fall plantings, but I'm a newbie and the Paul's may be too slow to mature and/or the seeds may need more time to dry for planting next year.

Thanks for any suggestions! If I'm posting to the wrong topic, please let me know.
ChrisPlano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

You can take a tomato to the garden, cut it open, remove some seed and plant them right then. As was discussed in another thread a couple of weeks ago, the only reason to ferment/scrub the seeds and dry them is to facilitate long term storage.

I would put some seeds on a paper towel and get as much of the gel sac off them as quickly possible. The Gel contains the seed germination inhibitor that will slow germination by a few hours if left on them.

No worries.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #3
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™

Chris,
You don’t need to wait at all. You can sow seeds directly out of the tomato. Better to first wash off the gel in a small strainer, so that they germinate faster.
You can also snap off a sucker from the plant that you have growing now, put in in a container of potting mix in a shady, cooler area, and let it take root.
Jim
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #4
ChrisPlano
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much for the replies! Maybe I'll try seed AND sucker :-)
ChrisPlano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #5
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

I like the "cloning" method that Jim mentioned if you can.
If not, there is no reason you can't sow the new seeds as others have mentioned.
With some hybrids I have created, I resowed immediately after fermenting and drying the seed. This worked well for me.

Good luck!

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I was the one asking about if I needed to ferment and dry the seeds before planting. The picture below shows the results of cutting a tomato open, squeezing the seeds out and planting them without fermentation or anything else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0001.JPG (83.8 KB, 72 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Yeah. As mentioned , fermenting and other seed collection methods are for seeds saving ( for the next year, decades from now !! )
I am growing a KUMATO, from a seed taken right out of fresh a fresh tomato.
Now it is growing in my garden.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #8
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

do you need to use root tone when replanting laterals in soil? Will it help with the rooting process?
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #9
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyhat View Post
do you need to use root tone when replanting laterals in soil? Will it help with the rooting process?
I don't think that it is needed. Here is one of several threads that discuss it:

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=36472

And as mentioned in the above thread, only root cuttings from healthy plants. You don't want to aid and abet any problems that might be taxing your donor plants.

Jim
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote