Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 25, 2015   #1
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Default My First Cuostralees....or NOT!

Bottom three are from a "Cuostralee" plant I bought at a greenhouse. They don't look right to me- much too small! Can't always trust a greenhouse...

The Dr. Wyche's Yellow at the top is the real deal, and will be gracing a BLT very soon...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cuostralees.JPG (152.9 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by Spartanburg123; June 25, 2015 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Picture was sideways
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Bottom three are from a "Cuostralee" plant I bought at a greenhouse. They don't look right to me- much too small! Can't always trust a greenhouse...

The Dr. Wyche's Yellow at the top is the real deal, and will be gracing a BLT very soon...
I agree, much too small and I know the variety very well and have grown it many times. In the link below you'll see that I was the source for this variety to many folks.

Tania in her link only mentions Craig and myself as getting it from Norbert in France in 1992, but there were actually four us who who were contacted by Norbert and Right now I don't remember which of us got Cuostralee and first SSE listed it and when, probably 1993 or 4

And also note from the link that different fruit shapes can be seen

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Cuostralee

and more pictures of this variety

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...40.-Mr3VKGyD0E

And just b/c, I played a small part with Dr. Wyche's Yellow and helped get that one spread around as well,

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Dr._Wyche%27s_Yellow

Just noting that you are very correct when you say that not all places sell the right plants. Best is getting seed for the varieties you want to grow and there are some good and bad seed places as well, and there are some places that ship plants and I do trust a couple of them.

Carolyn
Old June 25, 2015   #3
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I agree, much too small and I know the variety very well and have grown it many times. In the link below you'll see that I was the source for this variety to many folks.

Tania in her link only mentions Craig and myself as getting it from Norbert in France in 1992, but there were actually four us who who were contacted by Norbert and Right now I don't remember which of us got Cuostralee and first SSE listed it and when, probably 1993 or 4

And also note from the link that different fruit shapes can be seen

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Cuostralee

and more pictures of this variety

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...40.-Mr3VKGyD0E

And just b/c, I played a small part with Dr. Wyche's Yellow and helped get that one spread around as well,

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Dr._Wyche%27s_Yellow

Just noting that you are very correct when you say that not all places sell the right plants. Best is getting seed for the varieties you want to grow and there are some good and bad seed places as well, and there are some places that ship plants and I do trust a couple of them.

Carolyn
Carolyn- of course I have your book, and Craig's is on the way, and the reason I bought the plant was due to your review! So thank you for bringing these great varieties to the states and to the world.

There is another possibility- my lowest tomatoes are sometimes small, then get bigger as you go up. I have other trusses developing now. We shall see!!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #4
pinklady5
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, sorry to say your fruit doesn't resemble them one bit. I have grown them for a few years now (source from Tania) and I think Cuostralee produces one of the most visually stunning red tomatoes.
pinklady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #5
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Definitely doesn't look like cuostralee....

Send me your address, and I can get some of the real seed out to you.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #6
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Heh, I remember reading the thread titled 'the curse of cuostralee' or something and laughing. And then last year I tried them from a trusty source. Guess what? They were not the real deal, but a much smaller variant, also quite ruffled and unusually oblate.
I wonder if this plant is just very prone to crossing.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Never grown Cuostralee but it is in my grow list for 2016.

Here is a picture from Google.

That is what I envision and like NOT the on shown in the opening post.
Lets see how yours look like, if you are growing it.
I try to avoid iffy situations as much as possible.

Gardeneer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cuostralee-tomato-plants.jpg (21.1 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Gardeneer; June 26, 2015 at 04:47 PM.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote