Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old August 25, 2007   #1
Catntree
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Turtle beans

Hi all.

I recently discovered I like black beans a lot more than pinto, and others. I had them as refried beans and tasted a big difference. I'd like to grow a bunch of these beans and i'm assuming they are the Black turtle Bean.....

Anyone have experience growing these beans? Any tips for me? A silly question, maybe: Can I plant the beans they sell in stores for eating? Probably not, but thought it worth a shot....heehee

((I'm not much of a bean person and rarely grow them....mostly pole string beans, but I want to grow some beans for the soil-improving qualities as well as eating, and this is a large area I'm trying to improve, so i think i need to go with a dry bean))

Thanks for any info.....
Old September 4, 2007   #2
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Black beans can be any one of a number of varieties but I guess Black Turtle is one of the better known. Don't know about where you are but here in Australia you can grow the dry beans you buy for eating. That's how I started growing both Pinto and Borlotto beans. For some reason, beans for eating are a lot cheaper than beans for sowing, so why not use some of your eating beans to grow a crop.