Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 22, 2007   #1
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Default Well (pea)nuts!

I grew some peanuts this year--first time for me--and am looking for advice on harvest and storing. The variety is "Black Peanut" from Sandhill. I have to say, the peanut is one weird plant. It's been fun to watch them grow.

From my reading, they should be ready when the leaves start turning yellow. Some random sampling of the pods to check for size would be in order as well. (I checked a few of the pegs yesterday and they look pretty good.) Once they are pulled, they can be left someplace dry and airy to dry for several days (final moisture level should be around 15%). I don't know how the home gardener would be able to make that determination. I for sure don't want moldy peanuts. Aflatoxin ain't no laughing matter.

How would I do roasted, salted peanuts? In shell or out, what oven temperature and for how long? How much salt (brine) if the peanuts are soaked? Cajun-style peanuts? Or your favorite recipes??

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote