Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old February 11, 2012   #1
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Default And they're off!

I'm zone 5 with a last frost date of May 1st. I always start early for three reasons. It gives me cushion if I have seed failure, it has always worked just fine for me to do so since my crop size is small, late frost protection is no big deal and finally, because I like to. -Stacy

This year's planting (1 of each)

Granny's Heart Marizol Bratka Pineapple Katja Chocolate Stripes African Queen Matina Persimmon Black Cherry Hays Anna Russian Striped Roman Crnkovic Yugoslavian German Red Strawberry Ludmilla Red Plum Terhune Seattles Woolly Blue Mammoth Sherry's Sweet Heart Solar Flare Gary O'Sena Maiden's Gold Amazon Chocolate Pink Furry Boar Porkchop
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2012   #2
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Stacy,
I am with you, girl!
People look at me when I put mine out early, and sometimes I don't quite make the frost protection, but I have time to start over, and if I'm lucky, I'm early. If I put it in later, I might be dealing with late blight early, and lose anyway.
It's only seeds! I only plant less than half at a time, regardless how few I have. A penny in my pocket.

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2012   #3
SEAMSFASTER
Tomatovillian™

I like to start a few extra early ones every year for experimentation, fun and to hedge my bets. I just recently transplanted some seedlings up to 4 gallon pots and plan to transplant them with protection within a month. Average last frost date is April 26th here, but with the way this strange winter is unfolding, we might be done with frost a month ahead of schedule. Or not...

Last edited by SEAMSFASTER; February 12, 2012 at 04:30 AM.
SEAMSFASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2012   #4
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Yeah,
....or not!

It's like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2012   #5
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by janezee View Post
Stacy,
I am with you, girl!
People look at me when I put mine out early, and sometimes I don't quite make the frost protection, but I have time to start over, and if I'm lucky, I'm early. If I put it in later, I might be dealing with late blight early, and lose anyway.
It's only seeds! I only plant less than half at a time, regardless how few I have. A penny in my pocket.

j
Exactly! Plus the closer we get to spring the busier and busier garden chores get. It is so much easier getting hardened off, thick stemmed plants out than fussing with the younger and more delicate. I stagger the planting out so that always have some back-up but I've never had to use it. (*knocks wood*)

Stacy
Old February 12, 2012   #6
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAMSFASTER View Post
I like to start a few extra early ones every year for experimentation, fun and to hedge my bets. I just recently transplanted some seedlings up to 4 gallon pots and plan to transplant them with protection within a month. Average last frost date is April 26th here, but with the way this strange winter is unfolding, we might be done with frost a month ahead of schedule. Or not...
Such a strange year, I'm in Chicago and our ground never froze solid this year and we barely had any snow. Fingers crossed it stays like this, then I can get out there nice and early this year.