Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old December 18, 2012   #1
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Default New Hampshire Pickling Tomato????

This is a variety in the New 2013 Totally tomatoes catalog. I can find nothing on this variety. This is on page 2 inside the cover. "the result of a cross breeding at the University of N Hampshire in the late 1950's/early 60's in search of a pickling variety...." Is this a new hybrid or an heirloom not on the market in the past few years? Any thoughts on taste, texture??? anybody grown it?
Old December 18, 2012   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

If it's the same as New Hampshire red pickling all the sources I see say open pollinated.

from here:
http://www.jeffsgardenofeaton.com/?page_id=18
Quote:
Mr. Green Thumb says:
May 7, 2011 at 5:05 am
Wow! You look busy! I found you too late for this year, but am spreading the word about you site. I buy my tomatoes from Territorial in Cottage Grove, and they do well, but they do not have the selection you do! Momataro and Brandywine are my favorites for sure, but I found one that I love that yo do not have…New Hampshire Red Pickling. The name is weird, I have to admit, and I have never pickled a tomato. It is a red pear tomato, juicy, firm, sweet, low acid, and large producer. I get it from Territorial, but it is actually an Abundant Life Organic Heirloom seed. Very Highly recommended! I will have to come out and see your set-up! I hope you do well! I am curious, do you harvest your own seed?
From here:

http://culinariaeugenius.wordpress.c...tomatoes-2011/
Quote:
* New Hampshire Red Pickling: Abundant Life says this little red pear tomato has a thick wall and smoky flavor that holds up for pickling. I found information about its hybridization here:

Some tomato growers in southern New Hampshire produce green tomatoes for pickles. The variety Red Pear which has been used for this purpose has an indeterminate plant with fruits distributed at some distance along the stems. The cost of harvesting green tomatoes for pickles is comparatively high because of uneven maturity of fruits. For this reason, we decided to produce a red-pear tomato on a determinate vine which would be earlv and which would produce a large crop at one time so that the cost of production could be reduced. The ordinary red-pear tomato was crossed with Fargo Yellow Pear, a variety produced some years ago at North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station.

The F^ -hybrids had a long vine and red fruits, and were productive and early. Seed from them gave many kinds of plants: some were determinate, some long, some with red fruit, some with yellow, some with uniform fruit color and some with fruits having green butts, some late, and some early. Selections were made from the early fruiting types with a fairly small, pear-shaped, red tomato. Since this is a comparatively simple breeding project, only two calendar years were required to complete it, during which time one generation was raised in the field each year and two in the greenhouse. The final result is New Hampshire Red Pickling Tomato from which one can pick a thousand tomatoes of pickling size per plant at one time. The variety has met with favor (Albert F. Yeager and Elwyn M. Meader, UNH Agricultural Experiment Station Bulletin 440 June 1957).

Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2012   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Doug. I tried to look for anything pertaining to the name and only the TT description showed up. This still isn't much information on it though, is it? It looks interesting, but I probably will just grow the yellow submarine from JandL this year. After I re read the description I realized it was a determinate, which means it would produce well in flushes and that isn't what I need.

Oops... Submarine Blush is what I ordered from Goodwin not yellow submarine.

Last edited by clkeiper; December 19, 2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: wrong variety info
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2012   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Thanks, Doug. I tried to look for anything pertaining to the name and only the TT description showed up. This still isn't much information on it though, is it? It looks interesting, but I probably will just grow the yellow submarine from JandL this year. After I re read the description I realized it was a determinate, which means it would produce well in flushes and that isn't what I need.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...&bpcl=40096503

Above is a link to Google with several links about this variety that haven't yet been mentioned and that might, or might not, prove useful.

Carolyn
Old December 19, 2012   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn,
Those were the links I looked at before and the Abundant Life site links it to the Territorial Seed company, but they don't show anything for the tomato either. The Rutgers page is not a review from personal point of like or great to grow/eat/use tomato. I was wondering if anyone has tried it, but I really don't need to squeeze another "try" in the garden is year. I think I have enough, it just looked interesting. Maybe next year.
Old December 19, 2012   #6
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

If you were interested in pickling green tomatoes, which New Hampshire Pickling is apparently designed for, you can use just about any green (unripe) tomatoes. I had lots of greenies on the plants when the frosts came and I picked a couple of three gallon buckets of small green tomatoes. I pickled some of them using my grandmother's 21-Day Sweet Pickle recipe....they taste amazingly similar to cucumbers pickled the same way.....
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2012   #7
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by delltraveller View Post
If you were interested in pickling green tomatoes, which New Hampshire Pickling is apparently designed for, you can use just about any green (unripe) tomatoes. I had lots of greenies on the plants when the frosts came and I picked a couple of three gallon buckets of small green tomatoes. I pickled some of them using my grandmother's 21-Day Sweet Pickle recipe....they taste amazingly similar to cucumbers pickled the same way.....
Question - did you peel them before pickling? I pickled some unpeeled green (unripe) cherry tomatoes with a dill pickle recipe, and while they taste wonderful, they look a bit shaggy, so I figured next time I'd have to peel them first.
Old December 21, 2012   #8
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
Question - did you peel them before pickling? I pickled some unpeeled green (unripe) cherry tomatoes with a dill pickle recipe, and while they taste wonderful, they look a bit shaggy, so I figured next time I'd have to peel them first.
No, I didn't peel them. They soak in salt brine for about two weeks to start, then spend time in a syrup, so there's not a lot of stress on the skin. They don't get heated up until the second phase, so the skin stays pretty firmly attached.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote