Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old December 12, 2011   #1
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

Default Cold frame & three thing at one time!

Satruday I dug out one of my cold frames. There were lots of weeds but the soil was good ince I had some compost there the year before! I did not just dig the 3 by 6 cold frame out I strained all the dirt! The night before I thought about straining the dirt and placing it into black gallon and two gallon pots and putting it into the greenhouse for extra heat storage.
+++
I also use the strained dirt for the bottom layers of by new planting styrofoam boxes! I got the cold fram dug out before it froze more than a inch! So i have a new col frame dug down about 18inches to be filled with a weedless new soil mix!. I have 5 more to dig out! I will strain all the dirt them mix a little sand and add a foot back to the bottom of the cold frame and put a 4 to 6 inch layer of a compost or potting weedless mix! This year I will have the best cold frames which I will convert to raised beds by june!
+++
I will have all the cold frames dug down about 18 inches. I will put about 6 inches of leaves or straw at the very bottom before I add the strained garden soil on top!
+++
So I did three things here strained rich cold frame dirt for my seed boxes while digging out my cold frames and three I made a heat storage material that I will use up as the weather warms so i can work in ther greenhouse when its cold outside! I also got the weed roots out while straining!a