Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 18, 2013   #1
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Default Are peppers prone to mildew?

The reason I ask is I want to plant my pepper plants in the ground where my neighbors sprinkler hits my raised bed and wad wondering if that would affect them at all, getting watered from above? I don't have a compost pile and have been burying my kitchen scraps back there for 7 months and would love to put my bells and beans there. Thanks for any info!
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2013   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalgardengal View Post
The reason I ask is I want to plant my pepper plants in the ground where my neighbors sprinkler hits my raised bed and wad wondering if that would affect them at all, getting watered from above? I don't have a compost pile and have been burying my kitchen scraps back there for 7 months and would love to put my bells and beans there. Thanks for any info!
One thing your neighbors sprinkler shouldn't be getting on your property unless the wind blows it there.

I dont see a little top watering hurting anything, that is where rain comes from.
Right now I am top watering with a strip sprayer with great results.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2013   #3
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Worth, yeah their sprinklers water their banana plants that are right by the retaining wall with no fence dividing the properties but hey it's free water! They finally cut them back so I get sun for 6+ hrs a day.
Old April 19, 2013   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Contrary to what is often recommended, my entire garden is top watered by our lawn sprinklers. So far (knocking on wood) I've had none of the problems I've seen predicted with this method, even in the heat and humidity.

My peppers and eggplants are put in pretty close to each other and do just fine. The tomatoes are given a little more breathing room.

The only time I had any foliage problems was towards the end of last season with the dwarfs that were in five gallon grow bags. They started suffering when it got hot and humid, and I realized that I had the bags too close together. The rest of the tomatoes did just fine.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2013   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I grow where molds and mildews are a regular occurrence in the garden as well as everywhere else and I have never had a mildew problem with peppers. You could have some of the known pepper diseases if they are wet too frequently but in your climate I don't think the water will be a problem.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2013   #6
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the answers, I'm planting out today then