Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 12, 2013   #1
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Two "Alma" Peppers?

Last winter I received seeds of what were called Alma Market (or maybe Alma Half Sharp) peppers from someone here as part if my tomato seed SASE offer. Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of who they came from.

I have two plants of these in grow bags and one has a couple of peppers on it. However, they look nothing like the pictures I'm finding on line for Alma Paprika Peppers. My peppers are white, turning to pale green, and instead of the round shape I'm seeing in pictures, they are more cone shaped. Anyone have any idea if there are two different "Alma" peppers? If not, then it looks like I got some mislabeled seeds!
-------
Edit - Scratch that. Did a little more hunting and discovered I actually have Allis Market peppers!

Last edited by Father'sDaughter; July 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

I grew West Allis Half Sharp pepper last year - it was very nice, quite a large pepper and sweet when ripe with a burst of heat around the pith at the top end.

I'm really loving Alma, though, which I'm growing this year. The plant is gorgeous with the pointing up round peppers turning from white to brick red. The flesh is super thick, juicy and sweet and the pith surprisingly hot but not a long lasting burn, pretty much delightful. A lot of the fruit are 'Russian dolls' as well - pepper inside the pepper so very dense and heavy even when they are small. Yep, they pack a punch, and set well even without a lot of hours of sunlight, which means I'll have to grow em every year...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info on the Alma's. I might just have to try them next year. As for the Allis, what is their final ripe color? Do they go to red? Mine are actually more of a pale yellow right now.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

They were fairly slow to ripen here but that was late in the fall, they slowly coloured up from pale green to yellow to orange to a final orange-red. Some very pretty intermediate stages with streaks of orange.

I'd be happy to share my Alma seed if you want it, PM me in the fall. There aren't many seeds in each pepper so I'm gradually stocking up.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote