Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 21, 2016   #1
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Tip on Leafs..

Hi..Would anybody be able to tell me what this is....I had it in my Greenhouse plants...then I got some cuttings from a gardening centre and prepared them inside specificly to keep everything away from the greenhouse environment and now even some of my small cuttings now have it.....
on the bottom branch the tip of the end leaf will turn black like the tip of an arrow...It will then work its way round the outer edge while other leaves start showing the same ....over time the leaves will gradually curl up ..and finally the branch just drops of....My photos show it in the early stages and I do not know if it can be got rid of unless the branch is cut off and even then is the cutting effected elsewhere....Thankyou for any help..Regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLACKTIP.jpg (63.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg NOGOOD.jpg (123.8 KB, 81 views)
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

That is consistent with fertilizer burn. I am sure others will have different opinions.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
That is consistent with fertilizer burn. I am sure others will have different opinions.
I agree with you Marsha.

Either actually too much fertilizer being added or growing inground in too rich soil or in containers with mix too rich,which can do the same.

Carolyn
Old April 22, 2016   #4
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi...You could well be right but I struggle to understand how Some cuttings taken from a huge Tomato plant growing in a Garden Centre/Nursery can be over fertilized....Could it be the soil that I used in the cutting containers ...I did use a 1/2 strength solution of a product here in NZ called Tom a Rite to try and give them all a "boost" ....As I said I have this outside in my greenhouse on certain plants ??? and I have learnt what happens if I do not do something....
I snipped the affected branches off and gave all my cuttings a weak solution of Seasol (a seaweed extract) ...So I am hoping that the good ones get stronger and the weak ones survive..Thanks Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote