Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 12, 2013   #16
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIP Gro-Tubs View Post
Using 3 way connectors on the corners, and 4 way connectors in between you will have both a exterior and interior lattice between the 2 row's
I must be missing something because I don't see how using a Cross Tee at the top of the PVC pipes will provide any benefits over using a regular Tee. Now if you were to measure from the top of the PVC pipes to the Tees already installed and cut the PVC pipes in half you could install regular Tees on the end pieces and cross tees for pipes in between. That would allow you to connect the end pipes and the pipes in between. This would give you a top square and another layer of support below.
ArthurDent004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2013   #17
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Plants are looking good! Love the cute boxer "garden helper". Cheers!

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2013   #18
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurDent004 View Post
I must be missing something because I don't see how using a Cross Tee at the top of the PVC pipes will provide any benefits over using a regular Tee. Now if you were to measure from the top of the PVC pipes to the Tees already installed and cut the PVC pipes in half you could install regular Tees on the end pieces and cross tees for pipes in between. That would allow you to connect the end pipes and the pipes in between. This would give you a top square and another layer of support below.
From what I, could see of the picture, it looked like he had 2 rows of buckets with 8 buckets in each row. So to tie the pipes together in each row, you would think you would use just a regular Tee.

But since you have 2 row's you should go ahead and tie in each row by using a 3 way tee at the top of each bucket on the ends of the rows, all buckets in between would have 4 way tees installed, that way you can tie in all the buckets in one row, and each bucket in the first row can be tied into the opposite bucket in the second row.

So for 2 rows of 8 buckets you will need Four - 3 way T's, and Twelve - 4 way T's

So say he wants to add another row of 8 buckets, he would need
Four 3 way T's
Fourteen 4 way T's
Six 5 way Crosses

And whatever you do don't use PVC cement, notch the ends of all the pipes, and use set screws to join everything together, and you will be able to take everything down for storage, and be ready for next year.

Something else you may want to consider if you plan on using the same system year after year. PVC pipe and fittings are not UV resistant, they will dry out and get brittle over time, but you can help prevent that by first painting them with a exterior acrylic flat black paint which will block the UV rays from reaching the pipe, but leaving it black the heat of sun will distort the exposed pipes above the ground. So you repaint the pipes a flat white, which will then reflect the sunlight.

But your still not out of woods yet. PVC pipe used as a post, and horizontal to the ground will deflect, and bow down and up under it own weight. So how do you keep the pipe straight, insert a pc of 1/2" EMT conduit inside the pipe and either use set screws to secure it inside the PVC pipe, or what a friend of mine did to his was fill the void between the EMT and the inside of the PVC pipe with xepanding foam.

All the fittings are "PVC Furniture fittings" but they can be pricey, but you can make the same fittings from just plain old Regular PVC Plumbing fittings, and come out with just as good of product for a cheaper price.

Terry Layman
SIP Gro-Tubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2013   #19
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

I still don't see the benefit to using cross tees on top of the pole. I still think connecting the buckets in a series would work better. I could see putting a couple of tees between two buckets for cross support. You could change the existing tees installed above the buckets with cross tees and connect them for some support.

As for UV protection of PVC pipes here's what LASCO has to say about this.

http://www.lascofittings.com/support...gPVCPiping.asp

Instead of painting the PVC pipes I would think you could use this instead - http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-3...otectant+spray
Old June 13, 2013   #20
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I still don't see the benefit to using cross tees on top of the pole. I still think connecting the buckets in a series would work better. I could see putting a couple of tees between two buckets for cross support. You could change the existing tees installed above the buckets with cross tees and connect them for some support.

Instead of painting the PVC pipes I would think you could use this instead - http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-3...otectant+spray
A 4 way Tee is a lot cheaper than 2 regular Tee's, plus the short pc of pipe to connect the 2 Tee's.

Were you going to Glue the pipes and connectors, or were you going to use Set Screws.

Latex doesn't stick on PVC like Acrylic does.

The article states the study was done after only 2 years exposure. What were the results after 5, 10, years or more??

Black blocks all UV penetration, but will get the pipe soft from the heat. White keeps the black from overheating, and helps with reflection.

Sure the protectant is great at $72 gl, it should be, but how long does it last, how often do you have to retreat the materials, they don't say.

Paint is much cheaper.

Terry
Old June 13, 2013   #21
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

A 4 way Tee is a lot cheaper than 2 regular Tee's, plus the short pc of pipe to connect the 2 Tee's.

Were you going to Glue the pipes and connectors, or were you going to use Set Screws.

The article states the study was done after only 2 years exposure. What were the results after 5, 10, years or more??

Black blocks all UV penetration, but will get the pipe soft from the heat. White keeps the black from overheating, and helps with reflection.

Sure the protectant is great at $72 gl, it should be, but how long does it last, how often do you have to retreat the materials, they don't say.

Paint is much cheaper.

Terry
Old June 14, 2013   #22
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarhead View Post
I wonder if I put T's on the top and connected the PVC poles together if that would solve the tip over risk?
I think that would spell trouble with all of them going down at once.

I would build a wood frame anchored to the ground, that sits up off the ground to support the buckets. I use cinder blocks on my four buckets two stacked on each other with a total of six around each bucket. I do this because I like the ability to move my buckets if I want to. Even with the high winds we get here I have only had one bucket fall onto another, and that is when I forgot to add the second cinder block on top of the bottom ones, after I had moved the bucket.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #23
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

Am I seeing double posts or are my eyes deceiving me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIP Gro-Tubs View Post

According to Lowes a 1 inch cross tee is 2.86 and a one inch regular tee is 0.86 cents, even cheaper if you can find a bulk pack.

http://www.lowes.com/Search=pvc+90+d...+90+degree+tee#!

You would have to ask Lasco these questions. You can contact them using this link - http://www.lascofittings.com/Aboutus/AsktheExperts.asp

Here's the website for the maker of the UV spray - http://www.303products.com/home/

I'm sure they will be happy to answer all your questions.

Paint is much cheaper.

Terry
Old October 11, 2016   #24
FoodForLife
Tomatovillian™

Default A picture is worth a thousand words

Good example of why not to use photobucket, etc for the photos. People coming late to the thread have no idea what you are talking about with the photos long gone
FoodForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2017   #25
nniemiec
Tomatovillian™

i agree - i want to see this set up - can someone repost the pics??? This is important container innovation that needs to be shared!
nniemiec is offline   Reply With Quote