Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 25, 2017   #211
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I dont have anything good to say about non stick teflon.
Waiting for the day they make an electric cast iron skillet.
Well they have it, if you can stomach the $300 price tag

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Country-Cha...-/181432442814

Seriously when I read that stuff I said what is more worth it than having safe bakeware. So now all of a sudden I need a bakeware budget.
I won't be buying a skillet for $300, it's in my (imaginary and free $ ) crystal ball.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017   #212
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Well... what is the latest version of a safer non-stick pan ?

I use non-sick for skillets/ frying pans only. As soon as a non stick pot gets a tiny scratch out it goes. Sams Club and Costco have quality sets but I don't use the numerous non-stick sauce pans they come with. I've not gotten the hard andonized bug; I like a quality hassle free non stick surface not needing special prep.

The Professional series T Fal is heavy and doesn't burn food. This is not the same weight as the colorful T Fal pan WM carries. It a has hard surface that lasts longer than most. I've tried the "green" ceramics. I think they're "eeh" and they loose the non stick property quickly. Same with copper ceramic. There is a brand called Starfit that is non stick granite and I love it for burgers and steaks. Skillet is $30 and worth it for a daily meat/chicken cooking pan. Not crazy over using it for pancakes or light food.

Cooking spaghetti , sauces, soups type of prep gets a heavy metal saucepan or large pot. Lots of choices in that type of cookware. I've had some for 20 plus years.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017   #213
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Well... what is the latest version of a safer non-stick pan ?

I use non-sick for skillets/ frying pans only. As soon as a non stick pot gets a tiny scratch out it goes. Sams Club and Costco have quality sets but I don't use the numerous non-stick sauce pans they come with. I've not gotten the hard andonized bug; I like a quality hassle free non stick surface not needing special prep.

The Professional series T Fal is heavy and doesn't burn food. This is not the same weight as the colorful T Fal pan WM carries. It a has hard surface that lasts longer than most. I've tried the "green" ceramics. I think they're "eeh" and they loose the non stick property quickly. Same with copper ceramic. There is a brand called Starfit that is non stick granite and I love it for burgers and steaks. Skillet is $30 and worth it for a daily meat/chicken cooking pan. Not crazy over using it for pancakes or light food.

Cooking spaghetti , sauces, soups type of prep gets a heavy metal saucepan or large pot. Lots of choices in that type of cookware. I've had some for 20 plus years.

- Lisa
Honestly I never had many nonstick pans most are stainless steel but nearly all of my bakeware has some kind of coating. I never gave it much thought but at one point I did see that the coating came off on my bread - really gross! - so I started lining the pans with parchment but didn't give it a lot of thought beyond that. The stuff I read recently about PFOA's on the paper muffin liners etc just makes me rage! I mean you go to the trouble to cook something at home healthy feed it to your friends and now your friends' children???? And the paper liners are as bad or worse than the pans. So I am just so angry that this crap poison is on the cookware and the liners and they will get it into you any old way if you don't stand against it. I really don't need this but I will be looking for plain metal bakeware to replace and the rest of it will be going in the trash!!!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017   #214
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
For cooking eggs meat pancakes, etc. with a non stick surface, I love
this:
T-fal Professional Total Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Fry Pan.

Just went to order another and I see the different sizes are slowly being phased out on Amazon , Bah humbug. Get em (only 8 inch left) while you can!

Any non stick frying pans that you love?

The T-fal was the America's Test Kitchen top pick until the Oxo non-stick recently knocked it out of the #1 spot. Our T-fal is about two years old and holding out great.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017   #215
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Worth, Crocs is the brand that I wear exclusively. The fuzzy clogs are my favorite. I think the brand was made famous by chef Mario B. in an orange clog style.

There are special tougher closed clog styles for a work environment and that is what I wear up and down halls in the senior residences and I can also go in the kitchen with them and get refreshments.

The normal clogs are great for a muddy garden because they are easy to hose down, but I read they should be wom with socks or you can get a nail fungus. They and other man-made shoes don't breathe.

Like your boss I highly recommend them for a shoe that is comfortable even when worn all day.

- Lisa

I avoid the whole sock issue by going with these. I have an old pair I wear in the garden and a newer pair I wear every where else in warmer weather.

Old December 25, 2017   #216
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have been barefoot all day even outside in cold weather.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017   #217
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I am a little confused by the PFOA in paper thing, Bower. Fast Food restaurants around here do not use parment paper, and the paper they use is printed on. I don't know where the PFOA in that might come from but are you assuming or are they saying that if fast food wrappers have it, all paper and wrappings,, including parchment paper also have PFOA in them? Or are you mad because you ran out of paper and could not use your pans without it because the pans themselves contain coatings with PFOAs? I know my WS Baking Pans, even the coated ones claim to be PFOA free. There must be others available, too.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/page...son-chart.html
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017   #218
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I have been barefoot all day even outside in cold weather.

Worth

You would be loosing toes to frost bite if you lived up here and tried that at this time of year. We have a nice coating of ice and snow and it's currently 19F. I can't even go without slippers inside in the winter unless we really jack up the heat.
Old December 26, 2017   #219
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I still remember leaving barefoot prints in the snow on the front walk one New Year's Eve when the parents were out celebrating. We were certainly not out there long!
Now, I can't go barefoot on the floor here in winter due to the concrete slab underneath that sucks the heat out of feet the way an uncovered waterbed does out of a body.
We had a white Christmas and I am not at all tempted to try it again.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017   #220
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I am a little confused by the PFOA in paper thing, Bower. Fast Food restaurants around here do not use parment paper, and the paper they use is printed on. I don't know where the PFOA in that might come from but are you assuming or are they saying that if fast food wrappers have it, all paper and wrappings,, including parchment paper also have PFOA in them? Or are you mad because you ran out of paper and could not use your pans without it because the pans themselves contain coatings with PFOAs? I know my WS Baking Pans, even the coated ones claim to be PFOA free. There must be others available, too.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/page...son-chart.html
I went back and read again.
No, natural parchment paper is unbleached paper that has been treated with sulfuric acid that is it.
It is all I use.
The bleached paper is the problem.
If you have never been around a paper mill it is one of the most disgusting smells you ever smelled.
The chemicals they used to bleach it out is horrifying.
Old December 26, 2017   #221
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

For gardening, I love Sloggers (plastic clogs) which are more substantial than Crocs, and don't have the silly holes in them. The drawback is that I have to wear socks, but my feet are always dry and comfy .

Good to know about Marks for shoes, Bower! Hubby bought a pair from there that he LOVES!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017   #222
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Worth. We do have a paper mill near here and it used to smell aweful, but it hasn't really been a problem that I know of for years. I don't know what kind of paper they produce. I use some bakeware that is coated but is PFOA free. My sheet pans are heavy duty plain aluminum from a restaurant supply store. They are indestructible and inexpensive. You might look at a similar place if you have one near you, Bower. They tend to have uncoated, heavy duty pans at more reasonable prices than some place like WS. I need to look into the paper thing. I may have to switch to unbleached but I recently stocked up on bleached precut sheets from King Arthur Flour, and I would hate to throw that out. It wasn not cheap. I will have to see if any of the bleached parchment is PFOA free. I would have bleached meant they used bleach to whiten them, and we even put that in our water to sanitize it, not to mention clothing, etc., so I am not too afraid of that. the food just looks nicer on it. Interesting subject.

Sorry, if you won't use even unbleached parchment, you probably won't use aluminum either. BB&B and Amazon though both have stainless steel baking pans.

Last edited by SueCT; December 26, 2017 at 02:49 PM.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017   #223
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Sue, that cabbage smell from the paper mill would have been a "kraft cook". Kraft paper is what they make those thick "yellow" envelopes from. I don't know what has changed, but it must be great not to have to suffer that awful stink {LOL}.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017   #224
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Rain-X.

Discovered it ages ago when I learned flying. If I recall, it was initially developed for use on plane windshields to keep them clean in extreme conditions. Now it's the only windshield fluid I use in all our vehicles, water simply beads up on the windshield and is driven away by the fast moving air. My truck's wipers motor broke down and I was still able to see and drive safely in pouring rain.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017   #225
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Rain-X.

Discovered it ages ago when I learned flying. If I recall, it was initially developed for use on plane windshields to keep them clean in extreme conditions. Now it's the only windshield fluid I use in all our vehicles, water simply beads up on the windshield and is driven away by the fast moving air. My truck's wipers motor broke down and I was still able to see and drive safely in pouring rain.
The same thing happened to me on an old truck years ago and I used rain X.