Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 23, 2018   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Dug The Potatoes

Yesterday morning we dug the potatoes before it got really hot out there. My sister Pickles is the the Tatie Tender and she grew two 11' rows, one of Red Pontiac and one of Yukon Gold. It's what the local feed 'n seed was selling this spring. It’s just her second year growing them.

She guessed 45 lbs and I guessed 58 lbs. We ended up with 24 lbs of Yukons and 30 lbs of Red Pontiac for a total weight of 54 lbs. That beats last year's combined 40 lbs from those two rows.

We laid the potatoes on a table in the shade to dry and late this afternoon I brushed them off, put them in nursery flats and brought them in the house. There were some pretty big Yukons.

They're now the in a closet where the garlic is hanging and where they stored pretty good last year. There's no cellar here, root or otherwise so we're making do. So far, it works.

Pickles is going to can some as they're easy additions to a quick lunch or supper. When she experimented with canning some last year, I was totally surprised how good home-canned potatoes are. Guess we got enough now to last a while!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote