Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old May 20, 2013   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Bush Beans

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?FLQMR 20 May 2013 Bush Beans Planted
An eight foot row of green bush beans was planted using the board method.It may be a week or so early, since beans like warm weather, but the long term forecast is favourable. The board keeps moisture from evaporating due to a hot Sun. It will be removed at the first sign of germination. The board is on raised cross pieces to prevent the emerging plants from striking the underside of the board.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #2
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
An eight foot row of green bush beans was planted using the board method.It may be a week or so early, since beans like warm weather, but the long term forecast is favourable. The board keeps moisture from evaporating due to a hot Sun. It will be removed at the first sign of germination. The board is on raised cross pieces to prevent the emerging plants from striking the underside of the board.

Perhaps you went "overboard" on this one?

Wouldn't you want the hot sun to warm the soil? The beans should be deep enough where the soil stays moist, unlike carrots, as we know. Have you ever tried board and no board, side-by-side, to see what works better?

You are very informative, as always,

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I grow bush beans in staggered rows on 10" centers in a 3 foot wide swath. The plants help support each other.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #4
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Now, I use the board method for all seeds. I admit beans usually germinate well if the soil is warm, which it always is with a Sun, board or no board. Drying out before germination is the main issue. The seeds should be kept slightly damp until germination. I have a thermometer always in the garden soil. At a few inches (5) the temperature is around 20C, the highest being 22C. The first two inches can reach 30C.
Old July 18, 2013   #5
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Bush Beans Picked

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ALCIS 18 July 2013 Bush Beans Picked
First bush beans picked. They were sure slow growing due to much rain and cold weather.They were used for juice.