Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old June 7, 2013   #1
Itoero
Tomatovillian™

Default sweet corn

The sweet corn in my garden, has grown for 15-20cm and is now making sideshooots but doens't grow in height anymore.
What can the problem be?
Itoero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #2
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Can you post a pic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itoero View Post
The sweet corn in my garden, has grown for 15-20cm and is now making sideshooots but doens't grow in height anymore.
What can the problem be?

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2013   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Usually lots of tillers means the corn has very favorable growing conditions. But since your main stalks have stopped growing, it could possibly indicate the main stalks were damaged somehow.

I would look close for some kind of damage to the main stalks.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2013   #4
Itoero
Tomatovillian™

What happens if I let the side shoots grow? Can I still get big corns?
Itoero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2013   #5
gatorgoat
Tomatovillian™

Corn looks fine to me but I'm just a second year corn newbie. I was watching this thread because my corn crop this year did the multiple stalk thing. Almost every plant has three stalks. It's now just over six feet and covered in corn. I think you'll be fine.
gatorgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2013   #6
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Corn looks fine! The small tillers are normal for some varieties and wont develop much more, just leave them. Genetics + environment control tillering.

If you look down into the top whorl of leaves of the main stem you will probably see the tassel starting to emerge.

Can't tell how far apart you have the plants. Usually planting in rows or clumps gives better pollination and thus fuller ears.

You will be enjoying fresh corn on the cob in no time!

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2013   #7
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Looks OK so far. That is normal tillering. As Chris said, you can look down into the whorl and check the growing part. As long as that is also good, you'll be fine. There is no benefit to removing tillers. Likely they will remain small, but even if they get big, it doesn't slow the growth of the main plant. Last year a few of my tillers got so big I actually got a bit of sweet corn off them. Not the big full ears the main stalks produced, but enough to blanch and freeze for the winter. Was a nice unexpected and fairly rare bonus.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote