Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 31, 2006   #31
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Interesting thread... My Wes seeds from Carolyn came up at 100%. She generously sent me the seeds after just reading a post earlier this year saying I'd add Wes and Grub's Mystery Green to my list if I could find them. (Thanks to Grub too for the GMG which were also up at 100%!)

Maybe we need a thread on seed starting methods!

Bruce , hoping the sack load of Prue I sent you came up since they were fermented.

Michael, I know you're looking.
chilhuacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2006   #32
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

My Prue seeds from 2004 (two different plants) were planted in a paper cup with Black Gold potting mix, and had 100 percent germination.

(I've been keeping these saved seeds in the freezer, in Ziploc storage bags.)

Most of my saved seeds have been fermented and I have had similar percentages of germination with other varieties, using the same sowing method. The "spottier" ones (in terms of germination) were not fermented. I think the ripeness/quality of the fruit used might have something to do with it, also.

GTG
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2006   #33
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilhuacle
Interesting thread...
To say the least...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilhuacle
My Wes seeds from Carolyn came up at 100%. She generously sent me the seeds after just reading a post earlier this year saying I'd add Wes and Grub's Mystery Green to my list if I could find them. (Thanks to Grub too for the GMG which were also up at 100%!)
You too? Amazing. :wink: I needed to practice learning to properly use my camera anyway, so here's some piccies highlighting the fruits (well, not literally the fruits - yet of Carolyn's (and Grub's) seed sharing--

(click to enlarge)

Wes as of today -- I sowed two seeds and got 2/2 germ. Finally gave away the second one last weekend and the person was thrilled to get it.

Chapman as of today -- I sowed three seeds and got 2/3 germ. The extra went to a relative a couple of weeks ago.

GMG PL -- hopefully this one will be ready to set in a week or two, along with Orange-1 (SSE request from Carolyn).
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2006   #34
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I also think that a thread on seed starting methods would be of interest. This is due to a comment by Robbins in the Dwarf Project area - some people are struggling with getting the F1s I sent them to germinate - however, I ended up getting 8 of the 9 growing in 5 days (only 3 seeds of each variety planted). So my question - what is it that I am doing that is working so well.

I am sure that there are as many specific techniques for starting seeds as there are people posting here - but we would have to get to the real detail level to try to sort out some of the critical variables.

This is the scientist in me coming out!
Old April 1, 2006   #35
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

I did say that I was not going to post on this thread again, but I feel that I must just clarrify one thing.

One or two of you keep harping on about my thread weeks-months ago, about the canadian thing- which I find petty , picky, and somewhat narrow minded,and totaly uncalled for in this situation.its quite obvious to me that those few that are bringing it up are only trying to add fire and venom to the situation- its great pity they havnt got something more constructive to do, and concentrate on something a little more eddyfying than being vindictive.

Just to clear up that issue once and for all, I realised my mistake the same day as I posted it and never posted on that thread again or intended to either-regardless of weather it was locked or not.

Shortly afterwards I got an e-mail from the person you all thought I was talking about-even though I didnt mention any names at all, the person who e-mailed me was someone I didnt even know at the time-or had ever heard of before, nor did I even know that he was a member of both the popular tomato forums, as I didnt recognise his members name etc, I explained to him that I was sorry if it had appeared to implicate him and appologised, but it was clearly a case of mistaken identity- as the person I was refering to at the time was a totaly different name and slightly different area altogether, and I hope that was a satisfactory explanation to both parties concerned.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote