Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 4, 2009   #16
maricybele
Tomatovillian™

Are they considered organic methods?
maricybele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2009   #17
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Processing seeds with either TSP or Oxiclean would not be considered an organic method, if that's what you're asking.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009   #18
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

well if the main ingredient is hydrogenperoxide, water en air, how badly non-organic is this ; -)

if the main ingredient is hydrogenperoxide, would it suffice to use hydrogenperoxide (at what % ?) ??

seems TSP and oxi clean or not immediately present where I live (Belgium, Europe) but there is a brand around here Vanish Oxi Action, powders with hydogenperoxide as an (the?) active substance mainly used for clothing and tapistery. Could that do the trick ?

I would make the misses very happy if I could stop with the fermenting seeds ;-) especially the little fruit flies that seem to be everywhere all of a sudden.

This clorox some use for a little 'after-cleaning' is this just regular bleach ? Could a little Dettol (liquid antiseptic, parachlorometaxylenol) be of use ??
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009   #19
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Oxiclean ingredients:
  • Sodium Percarbonate
  • Sodium Carbonate
Quote:
These form oxygen, hydrogen peroxide, and soda ash when mixed with water.
Quote:
Environmentally friendly, sodium percarbonate will react with water to form hydrogen peroxide, which acts as both cleaner and slightly acidic bleach/brightener. A great benefit is that the hydrogen peroxide will evaporate and leave behind no pockets of acidic solids.
However it is not OMRI Organic, as the Sodium Percarbonate is likely manufactured.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2009   #20
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here is another method that uses scouring powder with bleach and liquid dish detergent. I know a couple folks that swear by this method and no fermentation is required. Here's a link. Ami

http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Home...eeds%20300.pdf
Old August 17, 2009   #21
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

I tried it and it works fine (ie, they are clean and 'furry', and you could have fooled an amateur that the pots were regular fermented ones, be it with the fungus mat removed) but even my girlfriend who has not much experience in tomatoseeds noticed that they seem 'flatter'. Do seeds swell more during the few days in the fermentation 'muck' and don't they need this swelling ?

'Vanish Oxi Clean' for us Europeans that is ... worked best for the pots where there was more fruit/gel material than water...

So, best thing now I guess is to check the germination rates right away, to be able to fall back to the smelly pots if necessary - hope not, let this be my one little organic sin my Lord ;-)
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2009   #22
geoff1
Tomatovillian™

Try looking for "Sugar soap". It is usually used for cleaning surfaces being readied
for painting. One teaspoon per cup of water (tepid) throw in the seeds in their gel, shake and stir for 15 minutes, wash in a strainer and put in the sun to dry. Voila the whole washing operation done in less than half an hour. Drying obviously a bit longer. Though not organic, this method sure keeps the fruit flies at bay.
geoff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2009   #23
travis
Tomatovillian™

Wagner suggests 10% TSP solution. The TSP available at hardware stores is granular. How do you arrive at a 10% solution using granular in tap water?
travis is offline   Reply With Quote