Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old January 2, 2009   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone ever grow Chervil ?

My neighbor has been asking about it for months now. She tried it at an upscale resturant in Charlotte on/with fish. I know it's a relative of Parsley but she said the taste was different than traditional Parsley. Found it in Johnny's in the herb section.

Anyone ever grow it? How'd she do? Taste? Can it/should it used like Parsley?
Thanks

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2009   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

To me it doesn't taste anything like any parsley I've tasted before. It can be used like parsley, but there are somethings I'd use Chervil in that I wouldn't use parsley. I find it allot more delicate a flavour.

I grow it in pots. Can bolt in the heat. Sow at a few different intervals ti ensure that you've got a steady growth of the feathery foliage if that's what you're using the most.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2009   #3
markstowe
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone ever grow Chervil?

Sorry about the pics, the chervil is looking a little sparse right now as I am over-wintering them here in Idaho. Also my wife is a little merciless on cutting my herbs as she really enjoys chervil and chives on her poached eggs and toast in the morning.

Chervil has a very mild anise / licorice flavor that is great on many different types of things but especially delicious on seafood dishes like fish, and mussels in white wine etc...its best to add fresh right at the end or you lose the flavor.

It is really easy to start from seed indoors, and grows quickly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Herbs 002.jpg (145.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Herbs 003.jpg (148.3 KB, 42 views)
Old January 2, 2009   #4
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tips guys, it's on my list. I just hope it can handle the NC heat. It will get some shade in the afternoon. Maybe I'll start some in the kitchen first to try it out. I have a great south facing window that my parsley loves.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2009   #5
tache
Tomatovillian™

Here in the northwest I found it very hardy. In fact it will take over if you don't watch it. It does have a nice flavor but is easily overwhelmed.

Tache
tache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009   #6
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

Grow them is a semi shade locations which receive several hours of morning sunshine if your area receive lots of sun shine/heat. It tend to bolt if it is too hot.
As for aroma I find it very nice (nothing like parsley). IMO it has sweet aroma a kind of combinations of oregano, dill and cinnamon. I use it for any fish/chicken dish or with potato salad or simply in salad.
Tomaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010   #7
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Im growing it for the first time this year. Ive used dried "fines herbes" but this is neat, subtle, and a lovely plant! I just have a few leaves on the 2-3 plants that have come up but ive tasted it twice trying to come up with a flavor profile for it- definitely a gentle licorice/anise taste to me.
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote