Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 10, 2016   #1
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Default dwarfs in an earthbox...

So, I decided to grow only two dwarf tomatoes (dwarf project) in each of my earthboxes. I know folks often do three. Anyway, after only 10 days in the eb's...they seem to be growing strong. Their color is good...and they have increased in size. I am anxious to see how they compare to the dwarfs I planted last year in 5 gal containers.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #2
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Ed, How did they do in comparison?
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #3
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ed, I have two dwarf plants in two of my earthboxes as well. I can't imagine doing a third plant... I think it would be too much. Then again, I stick to one regular tomato per EB as well.

I'll post pictures later today to show my progress. I planted Uluru Ochre in one and Dwarf Purple Heart in another. I intend to plant all my Dwarfs in EBs going forward. I think they are perfectly suited for that environment.

How are your plants going?
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #4
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Uluru Ochre likes to spread horizontally, and was a bit stingy for me. Taste was awesome. I'm sure it's gonna love being in an EB.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #5
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Five weeks post transplant, my Uluru Ochre has yet to bush out, but the Dwarf Purple Heart is absolutely getting a little girth.

Uluru Ochre:

Dwarf Purple Heart
Old June 3, 2016   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Just so you guys know, thru June 6 EB is having a 20% off everything sale, no keycode needed. To me that's like getting free shipping. And no, I don't work for or have stock in Earthbox. I just love them, I have 43.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #7
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Yup, I succumbed. I ordered two more last week... wish I would have waited! Picked up another regular box and stand and a root and veg.
Old June 3, 2016   #8
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the heads up Ginger. I was on the forum just before jumping on here, and didn't catch it.
I just ordered 4 of their Root & Veg boxes, as well as five more regular Earthboxes. Hope I don't regret the Root & Veg. boxes.

Did you add to your 43 boxes? What are you doing with all of your vegetables? And I thought I was a planting fool!
Old June 4, 2016   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

No adding. 43 is my limit. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL.
What am I going to do with them all?, being in S.FL.- the fungus, disease and insect capital of the Earth, not as many set as you might think, but even then, canning, giving away lots, dehydrating( yumm),
sauces, salsas, fresh eating.
I wish I got the production I see in more northern and drier climates, but oh well....
Oh and I save seeds to do a seed offer in January.
Old June 4, 2016   #10
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Schill93, despite my reservations, I ordered a second root & veg box with the offer to use with a tomato, so I'm right there with you.

I'm sure they will work to improve the product.
Old June 4, 2016   #11
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Ginger, my sister lives in Jupiter on an acre about an hour and a half north of you.
She tried a garden in the ground a few years ago, but had problems with disease and small animals stealing what she did have.

She has a large screened in pool area, so I thought she might have better luck with Earthboxes in the screened in pool area. I had three Earthboxes sent to her for Christmas. However, she hasn't used them yet. I'd like to recommend some tomato plants for her to try, and would like her to have success with them so she will be encouraged to try again.

In your climate, which tomato variety would you recommend she try that nursery's might carry. She obviously isn't into seed starting at this juncture. But if she has some success with it, she may well venture there. Also, in Florida, what month do you feel is best to start plant out? I would think September might work as well or February, but you know better than I.

JR, I just hope these still work. I wonder if they could handle a small dwarf fruit tree. I don't think they're big enough for that, but don't know much about dwarf fruit trees and how small they stay. I also thought the white ones would be pretty for some large flowering plants.

Last edited by schill93; June 4, 2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old June 21, 2016   #12
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I have 8 dwarf project tomatoes in four eartboxes, and one in each of two of the older Gardener's Supply self watering tomato planters

There is a Dwarf Purple Heart in one of the swp, and it is way ahead. All seem to be doing well, but the two potato leaf plants are getting pushed aside by their box-mates. I thought that I had matched them somewhat, but maybe that was dtm or color, rather than expected size.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #13
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

My mother called me last night to say that she had the first ripe tomato out of her EB - from a Wild Fred - and it was so beautiful she didn't want to eat it. It filled her whole hand.

That, folks, is what it is all about.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2016   #14
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

My maters are kind of a mixed bag so far. Some are doing fine...and many others caught the CMV. I learned a lot this year about CMV...and I will be smarter next Spring in regard to NOT letting grass grow close to my garden. It promotes aphids.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2016   #15
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by schill93 View Post
Ginger, my sister lives in Jupiter on an acre about an hour and a half north of you.
She tried a garden in the ground a few years ago, but had problems with disease and small animals stealing what she did have.

She has a large screened in pool area, so I thought she might have better luck with Earthboxes in the screened in pool area. I had three Earthboxes sent to her for Christmas. However, she hasn't used them yet. I'd like to recommend some tomato plants for her to try, and would like her to have success with them so she will be encouraged to try again.

In your climate, which tomato variety would you recommend she try that nursery's might carry. She obviously isn't into seed starting at this juncture. But if she has some success with it, she may well venture there. Also, in Florida, what month do you feel is best to start plant out? I would think September might work as well or February, but you know better than I.

JR, I just hope these still work. I wonder if they could handle a small dwarf fruit tree. I don't think they're big enough for that, but don't know much about dwarf fruit trees and how small they stay. I also thought the white ones would be pretty for some large flowering plants.
Oh wow, sorry Schill, I just now read this. From the store she could try almost any, of course I like Sungold and Sunsugar, but almost anything grows here.
The right time to plant I would say is August, early Sept at the latest. Some her start in July with seeds,i like to wait about 6 weeks longer so that they are large enough to bloom when it finally cools off, but not too large.