Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

View Poll Results: Do you love Aji peppers
love them in ceviche 1 16.67%
love them in hot sauces 4 66.67%
love them with grilled meats and veggies 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 19, 2019   #16
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Here is one grown in a 3 gallon container. Size: 5.xx feet. So in 5 gallon you should expect 6-7 maybe.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019   #17
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Last season I was unprepared for the size. This was on my deck outside the kitchen.....
This season the three EarthBoxes are going out on the driveway, on wheels.
Do you have any pictures of Aji Amarillo in the Earthbox? How many did you put in each box?

This is this year's Earthbox garden, but I wasn't going to try A Amarillo in one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190519_104246.jpg (616.5 KB, 163 views)
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019   #18
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Here is one grown in a 3 gallon container. Size: 5.xx feet. So in 5 gallon you should expect 6-7 maybe.

Thank you!
Old May 19, 2019   #19
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Last season I was unprepared for the size. This was on my deck outside the kitchen.
To heavy to move once they took off. I expected maybe 3-4 ft but they grew to 5+ ft.
I was harvesting through early November.
This season the three EarthBoxes are going out on the driveway, on wheels.
Oh, I see! That is the Earthbox with four plants?
Old May 22, 2019   #20
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkrap View Post
Do you have any pictures of Aji Amarillo in the Earthbox? How many did you put in each box?

This is this year's Earthbox garden, but I wasn't going to try A Amarillo in one.

http://tomatoville.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1558290762

That is really impressive looking Shrinkwrap.

I hope you don't mind my asking as you have probably exolained in another thread somewhere,but the buckets..are they Deep Water Culture or something similar?

I found a couple of Aji Rico in the local garden center,so I am looking forward to them.

Thanks to Fred Hempel with regards to watering as well.
Old May 23, 2019   #21
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicalgrower View Post
http://tomatoville.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1558290762

That is really impressive looking Shrinkwrap.

I hope you don't mind my asking as you have probably exolained in another thread somewhere,but the buckets..are they Deep Water Culture or something similar?

I found a couple of Aji Rico in the local garden center,so I am looking forward to them.

Thanks to Fred Hempel with regards to watering as well.
Thank you! It all seems like such a good idea until it gets really hot.

I have 5 gallon buckets with a variety of setups, but those in the picture with the black net bucket lids are non-circulating , "kratky" style. I don't know if they will work for the long haul. I also have some set up with sub-irrigation reservoirs. Those worked well for chinenses peppers last year.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 23, 2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old July 5, 2019   #22
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

How are the different strains growing? Mine was from semillas.de, and all I can say is: don't buy that one.
It's taller than me (I'm 6ft), almost reaching the ceiling of my balcony, a meter wide (I let a total of 5 stems), and has not had a single flower. It's taking precious space for nothing, as I don't see what I could do to make it start. In case you're going to say nitrogen and all that, it is fertilized with proper stuff 11-11-24 and 7-3-10 organic. Maybe I need more sun or smth, I get about 6 hrs (this plant is getting less now since it's closer to the ceiling where there's no sun), but I have no problems with tomatoes and other peppers producing lots (except rocoto, I'll maybe complain about that one separately). Last year Bichop's hat, another baccatum, was massively producing at this stage and continued doing so until frost.
Old July 5, 2019   #23
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

"and has not had a single flower. It's taking precious space"

Sorry to hear tat, and funny you should ask! I was just comparing them. didn't do well with my labels, and worry some bishop's cap got mixed in, but seem to know the "baby" Amarillo's from the others. The babies have smaller leaves and have already set several fruit.

I know the first and last are Bishops Cap.

I'll try to take labeled pictures soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190705_182724.jpg (344.8 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190705_182715.jpg (334.5 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190705_182707.jpg (369.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190705_182645.jpg (324.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190705_182640.jpg (292.8 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190705_182626.jpg (299.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190703_191341.jpg (254.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190703_133048.jpg (268.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190703_132332.jpg (535.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190703_132954.jpg (459.6 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Shrinkrap; July 5, 2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old July 6, 2019   #24
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Interesting, I see the baby aji has light green unripe pods. My plant kinda looks like yours in pic3, except 10x bigger, same kinda growth pattern.
Old July 6, 2019   #25
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I believe I have there babies, a baby, and a reg Aji Amarillo, all three about 4 feet tall, including their five gallon buckets. They are mostly in full sun except for dappled shade in the afternoon.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; July 7, 2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old July 7, 2019   #26
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Last year I planted 2 Aji Amarillo grande’s in an Earthbox. They did well and had lots of pods, but got some kind of disease I’ve never seen before. Best I can describe it is rust on all the fruit.
Didn’t try this year, but may try again next year. The plants did not get to tall in my Earthbox.

One thing about Aji Amarillo is best to start them early, in my experience.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2019   #27
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Well, my Aji Amarillo started flowering about a week ago, and continues to make flowers and set. They are quite nice, with a lot of petals and a ton of pollen.
The plant is insanely big however, about 9 ft tall and 4-5 wide. And I'm not talking spindly growth, this is quite compact. I don't understand how it could grow like this in 3 gallon. In total it has one main stem and 4 extra stems from somewhere down, it was a good decision to limit the number early on, rest of the growth is just a branching of these.
I think it took about 5-6 branchings to start flowering, which is quite a lot, even rocotos start making flowers from the first branching, even if they don't usually set.
I'm guessing I have enough time in the season for them to ripen.
Old July 31, 2019   #28
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Nine feet!!!!! Wow!

I have five plants, two that have larger leaves, and larger darker pods, and they are now about five feet tall with their buckets.

The last one should be Bishops cap/crown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190707_111636.jpg (378.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190726_162916.jpg (474.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190706_193815.jpg (521.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190703_132954.jpg (459.6 KB, 50 views)
Old August 1, 2019   #29
shule1

My favorite Capsicum baccatum is Aji Habanero. It's quite possibly my favorite pepper, too. Anyway, it's prolific, early, hardy, easy-to-grow, vigorous, works well in containers, dries easily, has great flavor, etc. It makes a great seasoning pepper. It's hot, but not near Habanero hot. The plants get large and they tolerate my climate and soil very well (regular Habaneros take a long time in our soil, it seems). The plant looks different than any other pepper I've grown.

Aji Omnicolor does okay in my climate and soil, but is later.

I tried Aji Limon (Hot Lemon Drops) last year, but it didn't fruit.

I'm trying Aji Amarillo this year. No fruit yet on it, but I have hope.

I'm growing a few Aji Habaneros, this year. Three are doing very well, and are getting a good supply of fruit, but one plant is tiny. I don't know why. Maybe it's crossed.
Old August 1, 2019   #30
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Peppers love wet soil. As long as it is drained. They do well with heavier watering than tomato. The risk of growing in pots is that you will let them dry out, and that will really kill production. Even one severe drying event can dramatically reduce growth and production.

Aji Amarillo Grande can probably get 3-4 ft tall and 3 ft in diameter.

Baby Aji gets about 3 feet tall and 3 feet in diameter.

I will be curious to hear about how the Aji Amarillo you got in a trade compares to Aji Amarillo Grande.
Well, I've discovered a way to prevent our 10-gallon and 18-gallon totes from drying out quickly. Just put shredded wood mulch on top! I have to water them less than the mulched peppers in the ground, interestingly. Last year, without the mulch, I had to water them every two or three days. This year, I can wait a good while (but it's harder to tell when they do need water; it's easy to overwater them).