Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 16, 2012   #16
bower
Tomatovillian™

We used to think that kelp was a source of potassium, with a few plant hormones and micronutrients thrown in for good measure. Turns out there is not such a huge amount of potassium, and there is a lot more to the seaweed benefits than a bit of cytokinin.

Some of the high molecular weight polysaccharides in seaweeds have been found to trigger plant defenses against pathogens.

A lot of recent work on stress treatments (cold, salt, drought) has found that glycine betaine and similar solutes make very effective stress treatment for plants - this is in seaweed as well. Once a week application of gb is recommended for persistent stress conditions like drought or cold - the benefits wear off after a week. I always used seaweed soak as a treatment for transplant stress - especially for bare root trees - but it is just as beneficial to veggies.

Here's a nice review of the science behind seaweed benefits and various products:
http://scholar.google.ca/scholar_url...=0CBkQgAMoADAA
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2012   #17
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Bower,
Sounds good, but while I'm near the coast, I don't have the access to kelp that you seem to have....any ideas?
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2012   #18
bower
Tomatovillian™

chalstonsc, If there's no seaweed at the closest beach, perhaps ask around, whether there is somewhere within driving distance that is a good place to get it? In my area, the abundance of seaweed varies a lot from place to place - some places are no good, and others, there's more than you could carry away...
Old March 16, 2012   #19
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Its a shame that cactus and tumbleweeds aren't good for nutrients. I've got plenty of those.
Old March 16, 2012   #20
bower
Tomatovillian™

chalstonsc, one important thing I forgot to mention, the best time to seek kelp on the beach is after a storm. Ask local folks in the beach area, whether there is kelp washed in after storms, and whether there is a best time of year for it.
I always check our beach for kelp right after stormy weather. Good pickins.
Old March 17, 2012   #21
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
You can treat the seedlings anytime. I have mixed seaweed meal and
seaweed powder into the seedling grow media that I was potting up
sprouted seedlings into. I have also watered them with some diluted
liquid seaweed extract. No ill effects.

I have sprayed larger plants with it without problems. I expect it would be
ok to spray seedlings, too. (You can always test with a few test seedlings
if you have doubts.)
Thanks, dice! I don't have the seaweed meal or powder, but I found this tiny tube of clear liquid that's supposed to contain seaweed extract. I'll spray some of my seedlings today and see how they like it....... or I'll just practice on peppers first
MarinaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2012   #22
venturabananas
Tomatovillian™

Bower, thanks for the link to that paper. Very interesting. I'd heard claims that the main effect of seaweed products was faster growth due to growth hormones, but apparently there's a lot more to it than that. As a professor of Biology, seeing work published in a peer-reviewed journal always makes me more comfortable with the claims being made.
venturabananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2012   #23
bower
Tomatovillian™

venturabananas,
Yeah, that is a nice paper.
I'm a biology grad myself, so I am always mining the published research out there to find some basis for my approach to things. Gotta love the internet! Especially the generous souls who manage to get their beautifully written reviews out there in full text...