Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 20, 2010   #1
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Zebra Cherry x Dora F2

BZ cherry was short statured and very prolific. The small cherry sized fruit were almost metallic looking, with skin a little too tough, but very good taste. Dora is a pink fruited beefsteak delight. I have two striped segregants in the F2 generation - this is the earlier of the two. I like the green stripes on red/orange - somewhat unique I think. I'll pick and taste later this week when I am home from a short trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0908.JPG (287.4 KB, 71 views)
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2010   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Wow! Coloration looks very much like the Dwarf variety Sarandipity we are developing in the Streaky line of the dwarf project!

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=12519
Old July 20, 2010   #3
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Wow! Coloration looks very much like the Dwarf variety Sarandipity we are developing in the Streaky line of the dwarf project!

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=12519
what's the pedigree?
Old July 20, 2010   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Pedigree is Black Zebra (male parent) X pink fruited F2 selection from Cheeky (female).

Cheeky's pedigree is Cherokee Chocolate (male) X Golden Dwarf Champion (female).

So I guess you would say it is (Cherokee Chocolate X Golden Dwarf Champion) X Black Zebra to get it all in one line!

The goal for Sarandipity is dwarf growth, round striped fruit, good flavor - golf ball sized - color of stripes green/red or brownish red. We are looking at at least 5 of the F4 generation to see how stable it is...suspect some variation still.

But where it will differ from what you are working with is that Sarandipity is a true dwarf - height tops out at 3 feet, thick stout central stem, crinkly dark green (rugose) foliage.
Old July 20, 2010   #5
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

That's pretty cool!!

I grew black zebra cherry and the plant was very, very small but crazy prolific- I had more maters than greenery at almost any given time, and it was VERy disease resistant including late blight- and that's with a bunch of blighted plants sending out spoors next door.

The outside of the maters was very tough, chewy and thick-- but the inside was tasty. Very black tomato-y but in a smaller package.

I would LOVE to see this guy with thinner skin. Let me know if you need growout help for next year
Old July 21, 2010   #6
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

I've got 8 F2 plants and none have the short stature of the BZ cherry parent, nor are they as crazy prolific - but they're all pretty productive with excellent plant health.
Old July 22, 2010   #7
bmerryman
Tomatovillian™

Looks a lot like the chocolate stripes tomato that I'm growing this year.
bmerryman is offline   Reply With Quote