Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old September 29, 2014   #1
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Default Is pond muck worthwhile as a soil amendment?

I have tried to use google to answer that question, but have found conflicting answers. My family's land has two small ponds that are grown up with volunteer trees, which drop their leaves into the water each year. There are also bluegill and a few bass, as well as turtles and ducks.

Obviously soil aeration is an issue. I know 100% muck won't grow anything, but I think if I mix it into good soil, it could be a worthwhile source of free fertilizer. That's just a guess, though. I wanted to run the idea by the soil building minds of tomatoville first.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2014   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Ask the Aztecs they grew their floating gardens with it.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...vS4gsZMCalysKg

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...osSpAlidUX1m-A

And yes 100% muck will grow some things like Taro AKA elephant ears and other jungle plants like caladiums.
That is what I grow mine in to conserve water.
40 gallon tubs sunk in the ground filled with muck and water.
Works great I fill them back up every two weeks or so.
In the fall I rake more leaves over the tubs to add nutrients.
The acidity of the water from the leaves prevents smell and mosquitoes.
I got the idea from the rio negro where there are no mosquitoes living on it due to the acidity of the water from the decaying plant matter in it.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; September 29, 2014 at 10:19 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2014   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Muck as a soil amendment is generally quite good for plant growth. Use a manure spreader and let it "aerate" right on the top. Or mix it with compost and aerate it. Gets rid of any botulism or other anaerobic nasties.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2014   #4
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I used to have 2 Koi ponds. I would clean them out in the fall and pour the sludge directly on my gardens. My gardens performed GREAT! I wish I had those ponds today.

Watering your plants with fish tank water is good. I would say that the pond water is better. Just be sure to watch for hibernating frogs while digging the goop. If you come across them, just bury them at the depth you found them, then they should be just fine.
Old September 30, 2014   #5
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

My 1960 composting book says that pond muck was the preferred fertilizer in the 1800s.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2014   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

We used pond muck to build up a garden. It made really nice soil when it was moderately moist. Dry... it is like crumbles, wet it is like clay. This was not fertile at all. Lots of weeds I wasn't expecting. The worst one is one called mile a minute weed. The absolute worst weed in the garden. Makes thistle look like a desirable weed. It grows great root crops, though.
Old September 30, 2014   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have some big round bales of old hay. They are too old to feed to the cows, probably been sitting outside five years or more. I think I could use a sawzall to cut out chunks of it from the bale. Pond muck and old hay blended together might have promise.
Old October 1, 2014   #8
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I have some big round bales of old hay. They are too old to feed to the cows, probably been sitting outside five years or more. I think I could use a sawzall to cut out chunks of it from the bale. Pond muck and old hay blended together might have promise.
Oh Rob!

I know you have seen what can be done with round bales! Why cut them up and mix with muck when all you have to do is unroll them and plant? Isn't that a lot of extra work?I managed 1 acre of tomatoes this year by myself on virgin pasture without plowing, tilling, or weeding by using just 4 round bales of old hay/straw over a roll of paper. If you use determinates, once they are finished all you have to do is bring back the cows after they are done! It couldn't be easier.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old October 1, 2014   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I've never unrolled a big bale before. How did you manage that? Truck or tractor?
Old October 1, 2014   #10
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I have a large koi pond on my property that hasn't been filled in years. I'm planning to get in there and collect the muck this winter, after the snakes and mosquitoes disappear.
Cole, how are you going to collect the mud from the ponds? I tried using a rake and gave up. It was too difficult and heavy. I'm going to pump the pond out and get down in it, then use a shovel I guess. It's a job I'm not looking forward too but the muck will go straight on the garden, maybe till it in a little or just turn it over with a fork.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2014   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I have a large koi pond on my property that hasn't been filled in years. I'm planning to get in there and collect the muck this winter, after the snakes and mosquitoes disappear.
Cole, how are you going to collect the mud from the ponds? I tried using a rake and gave up. It was too difficult and heavy. I'm going to pump the pond out and get down in it, then use a shovel I guess. It's a job I'm not looking forward too but the muck will go straight on the garden, maybe till it in a little or just turn it over with a fork.
Maybe that backhoe you might rent.

Worth
Old October 2, 2014   #12
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I've never unrolled a big bale before. How did you manage that? Truck or tractor?
Push it by hand. They roll. Easier than a tiller or a shovel, that's for sure.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old October 2, 2014   #13
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Maybe that backhoe you might rent.

Worth

I think it might be difficult to access this particular spot. At least until we clean up the mess of trees the electric company cut down in July. They made a huge area between my pond and the road inaccessible.
Old October 2, 2014   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post

I think it might be difficult to access this particular spot. At least until we clean up the mess of trees the electric company cut down in July. They made a huge area between my pond and the road inaccessible.
I would call them and make them clean it up it is their job to do so.
They always have a tree shredder with them when they do it here.

Worth
Old October 2, 2014   #15
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Yeah. I tried that. They have a reputation for doing this. If you have a "wild" area, their policy is to let the trees lie and rot. So, being out of town with a bunch of woods, that's what they consider my property.