Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old February 7, 2012   #16
janezee
Tomatovillian™

ron, I'm so glad to hear about your success with 2x2 boxes for melons. I had just been thinking that that's how I'd like to do mine, and here you are, saying it works! Now I'll put it into action. My lawn is getting smaller every year! Oh, yeah! You even have my two choices for melon. (great minds)
j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2012   #17
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

J

The boxes are 2ftX2ft made from 2X12s. Very important to dig about 2ft deep underneath the boxes because sometimes watermelon tap roots go very deep. While you have that dug out amend with compost,leaves, sand,grassclippings and manure to make the soil under the box very rich and loose. You can even mix in some crushed newspaper or peat moss to help hold moisture in the soil under the box. I plant 4 seeds to the box and thin to the best 2 or 3 after about 4 weeks and you can see which are the hardiest seedlings. Thats how I do it.

ron

PS I do have Blacktail Mountain seeds. PM me if you need some.
not a general offer
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote