Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old February 24, 2012   #1
swamper
Tomatovillian™

Default boron supplement question

It turns out I have a deficiency of boron in my garden soil. All other nutrients tested out well, pH was a tad high, and my soil is sandy so that triggers it. I noticed beets have been growing poorly, and some of the greens have not been up to par.

Any suggestions for supplementation? I notice boric acid is readily available and cheap and was thinking of a very dilute watering with some dissolved before planting season. I don't want to spend more than I have to as I think most of my soil minerals are in good shape.

i know how to calculate how much to use per 1000 ft2 and it wont be much.

I'm wondering if anybody has experience supplementing with soluble boron while plants are growing or experiences with toxicity from overapplying? I'm thinking specifically garlic since it's the only thing growing now, but also perhaps a preseason and midseason supplementation for tomatoes and peppers etc

serious replies only please or I've already taken "Boron for Morons" out of the local library...
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #2
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I have not experimented, but what I found when researching correcting micronutrient deficiencies was a suggestion to dissolve 1 tablespoon of 20 Mule Team Borax in a gallon of water and sprinkle that on a 100 square foot area. That was supposed to last for three years, it was a fine line with too much being a very bad thing.

Do your own research though, my boron results were middle of the road so I didn't do anything with it.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #3
swamper
Tomatovillian™

my rough calculation is 2 and 1/4 oz of boric acid per 1000 ft2 which is equivalent to 6 lbs per acre of boric acid per acre which is the equivalent of 1 lb of elemental boron per acre.
http://www.cals.uidaho.edu/edcomm/pdf/CIS/CIS1085.pdf
Old February 24, 2012   #4
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Twenty Mule Team Borax (available at the grocery store) is 9% Boron and will work just fine. I, too, have sandy soil and have used TMTB when my tests showed a deficiency. At the rate you mention (1 lb. B per acre), there would be no problem using it on your garlic beds now. I'd mix it with a good amount of sand (say 4:1 sand: Borax), so that you get a nice even spread.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2012   #5
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i was going to suggest 20 mule team borax too...

i have a box of it, 99.9% full, i needed to add some a few years ago. you don't want to add too much or you can really screw up your soil but i assume you are aware of that!!!

if you want since you are in my area i'll give so some if you want to contact me, i pm'ed you my phone number a couple of days ago.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2012   #6
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Boric acid, like the kind you use on cockroaches.
Just be very careful. I had a spill and have an area where only certain things want to grow now. Sage is apparently not tolerant of boron, it died very quickly!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2012   #7
swamper
Tomatovillian™

My intuition is to go with boric acid, in the garden, not borax since it is more plant available, and also borax contains sodium. H2BO3- borate probably behaves like phosphate in soil, not very mobile.

I might try the borax sparingly on the lawn. I dont want to kill all the ants. They do a good job aerating the soil. As an aside I find that mopping the kitchen floor with a little borax seems to make carpenter ants disappear.
Old February 27, 2012   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I use the boric acid in the house for cockroaches, just a bit around the baseboards, sweep up the excess. Cheap and effective. Also, very safe and non-toxic around pets and toddlers.
I make little traps with it mixed with syrup or peanut butter for ants which works amazingly well.
Old February 29, 2012   #9
flyingbrass
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I make little traps with it mixed with syrup or peanut butter for ants which works amazingly well.
So do I. It solved my ant problem last year. I've found it takes several weeks to work, but does a great job. The bait is also good for killing roaches. Boric acid powder is one of the few things that works decently on scorpions if they walk through it. I've heard people swear by it (and also Borax) for killing fleas and such inside. Overall, it's very useful stuff.

For ants, I used a combo of peanut butter and either pancake syrup or jelly. I figure that covers both protein and sugar loving ants. Be careful not to mix in too much boric acid. You want the ants to live long enough to take it home. To prevent pets from getting the mixture, I spooned dabs inside liter water bottles (left the caps off) and placed them where I had the most ants.

I think the powder is water soluble. If so, spraying might be easier and more even than broadcasting to bring up the soil levels. Just be sure to calculate the correct amount. Boron is needed only in small quantities, and too much is bad for many plants.
flyingbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2012   #10
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbrass View Post
So do I. It solved my ant problem last year. I've found it takes several weeks to work, but does a great job. The bait is also good for killing roaches. Boric acid powder is one of the few things that works decently on scorpions if they walk through it. I've heard people swear by it (and also Borax) for killing fleas and such inside. Overall, it's very useful stuff.

For ants, I used a combo of peanut butter and either pancake syrup or jelly. I figure that covers both protein and sugar loving ants. Be careful not to mix in too much boric acid. You want the ants to live long enough to take it home. To prevent pets from getting the mixture, I spooned dabs inside liter water bottles (left the caps off) and placed them where I had the most ants.

I think the powder is water soluble. If so, spraying might be easier and more even than broadcasting to bring up the soil levels. Just be sure to calculate the correct amount. Boron is needed only in small quantities, and too much is bad for many plants.
I do the same thing for ants. ITs also very safe for pets and toddlers. I have a little granddaughter and lots of pets.