Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 12, 2017   #1
throwaway
Tomatovillian™

Default Is it time to harden off in NJ?

Last frost day is supposedly next week for my zone. The 10-day forecast has us mostly in the 60's for the high of the day and mid-40's for the low at night. As much as I enjoy running lights all day for my little friends, it seems a little redundant with temperatures seemingly supportive of tomato vitality. In during the night for insurance, but out during the day? Anybody thinking the same thing I am?
throwaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2017   #2
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I bought a mr stripey today that was actually 2 plants in the same container.
I separated them and put them outside in a black plastic pot but I have a pane of glass over them just in case.Around here april is coldframe month so I just have to keep an eye on them.
Last year I had plants in cement blocks and wall' o water around april 26.The usual plant in ground date is memorial day weekend, so I squeezed an extra month outdoors.
I had plants in wall'o water /cement blocks and just cement blocks alone.The ones in cement blocks alone did better;warmer roots vs. plant temps.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2017   #3
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

My tomato plants will be spending their days outside on my front porch and their evenings indoors until the night time temperatures are above 50
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #4
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
My tomato plants will be spending their days outside on my front porch and their evenings indoors until the night time temperatures are above 50
I'm with you. Why push the plant out date earlier and earlier? The weather has been getting cooler in May so my plants will stay inside for now.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2017   #5
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

my 4th of july hybrid packets say 49 days,but they are actually closer to 60 days.
They have to be outdoors by the beginning of may.Last year I picked my 1st one july 12
so I missed 4th of july by a week.On the 4th the tomatoes were only 1/2 red.
Old April 23, 2017   #6
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I'm in 6a, and won't be planting in-ground until May 21-22. I have some dwarf tomatoes that will go into pots this week, but they'll come in on <50-degree nights.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #7
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

It's about weather stabilization more than frost date for me on the cusp of 5b/6a and a 90% safe frost date of May 15th. While there's been no frost after our safe date in recent memory the trend has been wetter cooler longer lasting Springs that are not helpful in starting tomatoes.

I'll be putting a few out around the 15th, but most will be planted Memorial Day weekend and plan to have some standbys still inside for hail replacements thru the 2nd week of June.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #8
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

We usually do not think about planting out until last week of May, 1st week of June, but this year I am planting out next Sunday, Apr 30th. My plants are way to big to continue to keep indoors (many over 3 ft tall) , so they will get hardened off starting on Wednesday and in the ground Sunday. The long term forecast does not show any lows less than 42F and many highs in the upper 70s. I don't care if they sit there and not grow much, they just can't continue in the house.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
It's about weather stabilization more than frost date for me on the cusp of 5b/6a and a 90% safe frost date of May 15th. While there's been no frost after our safe date in recent memory the trend has been wetter cooler longer lasting Springs that are not helpful in starting tomatoes.

I'll be putting a few out around the 15th, but most will be planted Memorial Day weekend and plan to have some standbys still inside for hail replacements thru the 2nd week of June.

Same here. Maybe the weekend before, but for now planning on Memorial Day weekend. They will hopefully be going outside to harden by the 15th.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017   #10
throwaway
Tomatovillian™

So I've been keeping them in shade up to 7 hours a day now. Seeing some damage (normal?) but not too bad. Lowest low in the 10-day forecast is 48. Goal is to begin scaling up the direct sunlight by an hour or two daily until they stay out unsupervised next weekend. Nervous about messing up this process so I started a few backups that are living outside. Also thinking about planting out a spare to see what happens.
Old May 13, 2017   #11
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

I finally started acclimating my seedlings to the elements this week, putting them in partial shade for 6-7 hours during the day & bringing them in at night. However, with the rain, they're spending this weekend indoors, under lights.

Hopefully, with a feeding & some warm weather, they will green-up & get big enough to set-out in the next 12-17 days.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #12
throwaway
Tomatovillian™

Things are looking up starting Tuesday!
Old May 14, 2017   #13
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

supposed to be 85 here thursday
Old May 14, 2017   #14
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

90 predicted for Philly! Mine are in ground but have been waiting for some warmth!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #15
ako1974
Tomatovillian™

I had everything out a few weeks ago, but then we had a week's worth of overnight 30s, but now they've been back out for several days. I feel that's the rule of thumb for May in NJ (like my kids in the playing in the backyard): in and out, in and out, in and out...
ako1974 is offline   Reply With Quote