Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 29, 2017   #646
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

very nice here but ten degrees cooler than normal.......but dry so I'll take it. 97 plants staked or caged and 4 to go!
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #647
bower
Tomatovillian™

Funny we also had it very dry as well as cold, in spite of the fog ice snow etc this May which didn't amount to anything in the ground. We finally had warm enough weather to plant at the end of it. Put tomatoes in at the farm yesterday, and WOW was the ground ever dry! I noticed in my garden as well, but with so many perennials it never actually gets dusty... this stuff was blowing around!
We repaired the pipe from the pond which had broken over the winter, so now the hoses and sprinklers are good to go. And tonight...rain and possibly thundershowers. We really need it.
Today June 1st my daffodils bloomed. The leaves are not out on the trees! Very late spring but all is not lost, the buds are there and everything is ready to pop after a few warmer days.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #648
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Freaky late-Spring storm tore through my area yesterday. I was out shopping, and it suddenly started pouring rain and the air temperature dropped 20 degrees. I spotted some strange-looking, funnel-shaped clouds to my south, so I got in my car and drove north... Turns out, I was just one town away from a tornado that actually touched down: http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/s...day/362162001/

No sirens in these parts. Tornadoes aren't that common around here.

But the storm brought high winds and hail that killed a pepper plant and a couple of basils. I'm hoping the eggplants will survive; their leaves look like Swiss cheese at the moment...
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #649
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
Freaky late-Spring storm tore through my area yesterday. I was out shopping, and it suddenly started pouring rain and the air temperature dropped 20 degrees. I spotted some strange-looking, funnel-shaped clouds to my south, so I got in my car and drove north... Turns out, I was just one town away from a tornado that actually touched down: http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/s...day/362162001/

But the storm brought high winds and hail that killed a pepper plant and a couple of basils. I'm hoping the eggplants will survive; their leaves look like Swiss cheese at the moment...
That sucks about your plants.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #650
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yikes! Glad you drove away from it!
That is awful sized hail.
Old June 1, 2017   #651
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Wow Hudson, scary times there and sorry about your plants.

We had a drizzle yesterday and then a strong deluge of water dumped last evening before the sun went down. I was unable to spray the plants and today we had two very hard rains but it dried up long enough for the leaves to be dry and I sprayed them all with copper. Hopefully all that new growth didn't get hit with anything for the couple days before that I couldn't spray them. More rain to come and big town Corpus Christi had flooding in the courthouse parking lot. Many cars flooded out and even an armored truck was flooded out.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #652
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
That sucks about your plants.
Worth
Thanks; it does suck, especially since the pepper plant was Craig L.'s new purple dwarf bell pepper (Carolina Amethyst). I only had two, due to germination issues. I'm hoping that the one that's left will produce enough peppers to get seeds for the next MMMM. (Eggplant and basil seedlings I can buy if necessary; it's still early in the season here.)
Old June 1, 2017   #653
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Rockporter and Bower. Rockporter, I hope the flooding has subsided and that the copper spray works its magic!
Old June 1, 2017   #654
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I am sorry to hear about your plants but am glad to hear no one was injured or killed.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #655
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I am sorry to hear about your plants but am glad to hear no one was injured or killed.
I was glad, too. The reported property damage to a shed and some snapped trees seems rather inconsequential...
Old June 1, 2017   #656
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

It hit the western part of MA pretty bad, but thankfully no tornadoes. Tormato's town was one that made the news last night as having experienced some large hail and damaging winds. Hopefully he came through okay.

By the time it hit the Boston MetroWest area where I was attending a meeting, it had pretty much fizzled out. My husband said we didn't get much more than rain and a few rumbles here at home.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2017   #657
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post

I just returned from 5 days in the Catskills. We got hit hard by a few monster storms.
Dead calm and sunny one minute, then dark sky and temp drop, high winds. Hail
warnings but spared. Why i have raised beds, strong teepee style trellising, and
shade/rain/hail frames for the young plants and direct seeded beds. Otherwise it would
be some time before planting anything...mud pit.

We were in the garden trying to finish up securing the last of the trellis and get in some
more tomatoes when one hit. We can see them coming but this front was fast moving...
weather radar on my phone helps with timing but that was a struggle.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2017   #658
edweather
Tomatovillian™

One week ago a severe level D3 drought..........this week 5 inches of rain and pouring now. Building the Ark!
Old June 2, 2017   #659
bower
Tomatovillian™

A beautiful day in the garden makes you forget all the rest.
16 C this afternoon and a nice breeze gusting about 40 kph - just enough to ruin it for the blackflies, so they can't pitch on you, in other words... PERFECT. Yeah that is 61 F and for me, a lovely summer temperature. It is hot as blazes in the greenhouse, I had to give it up and go outside. Tomatoes...waiting their turn.
Old June 2, 2017   #660
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
A beautiful day in the garden makes you forget all the rest.
16 C this afternoon and a nice breeze gusting about 40 kph - just enough to ruin it for the blackflies, so they can't pitch on you, in other words... PERFECT. Yeah that is 61 F and for me, a lovely summer temperature. It is hot as blazes in the greenhouse, I had to give it up and go outside. Tomatoes...waiting their turn.
Good to know, (though i do follow the Newfoundland weather daily). My young
co-worker traveling is having a grand time via text. GrosMorne, now on his way to
StJohns to meet his girlfriend flying in...had hoped to host him in our home but we are
still city bound for a few weeks....
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote