Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 21, 2018   #1
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Babywine / Cherry Brandywine / Brandywine Cherry

I've been thinking of growing these out again this year. As I recall they had PL leaves and were prolific producers of cherry tomatoes. Some produced red fruit and some produced pink fruit. Has anyone else here at Tomatoville grown these?
Babywine.jpeg
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; April 21, 2018 at 07:44 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Brandywine Cherry and the tomatoes were beautiful and the plants productive, but I wasn't wowed with the flavor and I didn't think it tasted like BW. Don't get me wrong, the flavor was good, but I'm always looking a cherry with spectacular flavor, and this wasn't it. They did dehydrate beautifully though .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018   #3
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Linda.
That is exactly the type of info I'm looking for.
Thanks again.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

Old April 21, 2018   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
I have grown Brandywine Cherry and the tomatoes were beautiful and the plants productive, but I wasn't wowed with the flavor and I didn't think it tasted like BW. Don't get me wrong, the flavor was good, but I'm always looking a cherry with spectacular flavor, and this wasn't it. They did dehydrate beautifully though .

Linda
Same here. Taste was nothing special for BW cherry. The KARMAs are PL cherries with spectacular taste , Linda.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018   #5
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Same here. Taste was nothing special for BW cherry. The KARMAs are PL cherries with spectacular taste , Linda.
Hi Marsha,
Thank you for the info.
I will include KARMA's in my side by side grow outs of PL cherries this year.
Thank again.
Dutch

Old April 22, 2018   #6
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Hoping for good KARMA in my garden this year, I potted up KARMA Pink just yesterday .
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2018   #7
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Brandysweet Plum, Brandywine Cherry and Grimpante x Brandywine. ALL of them looked almost the same - like a cherry sized mini beefsteak. But for flavor -- Brandysweet Plum was great, Brandywine Cherry good, and the Grimpante cross was awful. At least that is how they are for me.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2018   #8
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I've grown Brandysweet Plum, Brandywine Cherry and Grimpante x Brandywine. ALL of them looked almost the same - like a cherry sized mini beefsteak. But for flavor -- Brandysweet Plum was great, Brandywine Cherry good, and the Grimpante cross was awful. At least that is how they are for me.
Carol
Hi Carol,
Excellent, thanks for the info.
Sending you a PM.
Thanks again,
Dutch

Old April 22, 2018   #9
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

I grew Babywine the past two years and really liked it. Salad size, sweet and productive though with all the sun we had last summer a lot of sun scald. Had to skip this year as too many varieties to try! Will grow it again next year from saved seeds. Made for a nice whole canned tomato.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2018   #10
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
I grew Babywine the past two years and really liked it. Salad size, sweet and productive though with all the sun we had last summer a lot of sun scald. Had to skip this year as too many varieties to try! Will grow it again next year from saved seeds. Made for a nice whole canned tomato.
Hi GrowingCoastal,
Thank you for posting here at Tomatoville on the Babywine tomatoes that you have grown. Salad size, sweet, productive, and sun scald susceptible, made for a nice whole canned tomato, is all great info. I feel there a general lack of info on this variety. One of the main focuses of my grow outs will be to provide info on Babywine’s plant and leaf structure, growth habits, disease susceptible, etc. and if any of their characteristics appear to relate the varieties that have “Brandywine” in their name currently.
Thanks again, I really appreciate you sharing your observations of Babywine in such a clear, concise, and positive way.
Dutch