Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 5, 2010   #1
BR
Tomatovillian™

Default Big SunGold Select

Anyone growing Big SunGold Select have any reports? Did it meet your expectations? I'd like to start some seeds for my fall garden if I can find some. Anyone have a few they can spare?
BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2010   #2
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

I am growing 6 BSS plants from the seeds I got from Carolyn. They seem to have a nice fruity taste. Personally, I like them and will plan to grow them in the future. I will be glad to send you some seeds if I'm successful in saving them.

Happy Matering,

Paul
matertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2010   #3
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I am growing them this season as well. If they are anything like Sungold Select II, then they will be good. I really liked Sungold Select II.

Will report back end of season.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2010   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post
Anyone growing Big SunGold Select have any reports? Did it meet your expectations? I'd like to start some seeds for my fall garden if I can find some. Anyone have a few they can spare?
BR, I see you joined Tville in May of 2006. Each year I've been doing a large free seed offer here, I guess you've missed those, and this past Spring offered seeds of Big Sungold Select . There were about 80 participants and I packed up about 400 packs to send out.

Big Sungold Select is the latest of the four OP versions of Sungold F1 that Reinhard Kraft in Germany has developed and he released this one just last Fall.

Since I send out only 5-6 seeds of the 2009 seeds I offered I doubt that anyone here has any seeds to offer you.

If you PM me ASAP with your address I can get some seeds out to you on Monday. After that you'd have to wait a bit b'c my brother is coming for a visit and my back room, which I call my tomato room, will be vastly changed so he can have the sofa sleeper and that means moving ALL of my seeds to a safe place, which isn't in the room where he is.

Sorry folks, this is a one time offer. Since so many here at Tville got free seeds from me this past Spring I'm sure that many will save seeds and hopefully reoffer them to others here and I expect to relist them in my own next free seed offer as well.
Old June 5, 2010   #5
BR
Tomatovillian™

PM sent.

The original SunGold F1 is the only one I've grown. Are all the OP versions as tasty as the F1?
Old June 5, 2010   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post
PM sent.

The original SunGold F1 is the only one I've grown. Are all the OP versions as tasty as the F1?
That depends on who is doing the tasting, but most folks think that the fruity taste of the F1 has not been carried through to the OP's.

Big Sungold Select is different from the previouis three in being orange from the get go as opposed to the F1 which gradually turns to orange.

So you'll just have to see how it tastes for you. I thought it was pretty darn good and better than Sungold I or II and I didn't grow Big Sungold but now I have grown Big Sungold Select and I do like it.
Old June 5, 2010   #7
BR
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it.
Old June 5, 2010   #8
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Am also looking forward to Big Sungold Select. I haven't yet finished planting but two BSS's have been transplanted into my in-the-ground garden thanks to Carolyn's seed offer. I have a SWC with two regular Sungolds (F1 I guess) and will compare the taste hopefully later this growing season.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2010   #9
Bama mater
Tomatovillian™

BR, I am growing Big Sungold Select this year (Thanks Carolyn). I put the plants in the garden April 9th and yesterday (June 9th) I picked 3 ripe aprrox 3/4" - 1" size cherrys. The color is not the bright orange that you would get from the hybrid it's more of a reddish orange, I was suprised to get these after only 60 days in the ground.
Bama mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2010   #10
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Bama -- You did very well with these. I'm growing SunGold F1 and also Big SunGold Select. My SunGold have open blossoms now, but not BSS. And those BSS plants sure are tall!

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2010   #11
BR
Tomatovillian™

Got the seeds Carolyn.... Thanks!!!
Old June 12, 2010   #12
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Big Sungold Select this year, seeds from Ami. The first thing I noticed that it has that distinct 'Sungold' smell, but the foliage is a bit different than Sungold F1 foliage. I am growing 6 plants, all are robust and healthy. Hoping to save lots of seeds.

Does anyone remember how tall the plants? Is it as tall as Sungold F1 or more compact?

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2010   #13
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

Tania-My BSS plants are easily going out the top of their 6' Texas Tomato Cages. Plants are healthy. Fruits are a beautiful burnt orange as previously noted.

I am geting two fruit shapes. One is a cherry. the other is twice as large and tapers to a point on the blossom end. Is this to be expected? I will post
pictures this evening.

Happy Matering,

Paul
Old July 7, 2010   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by matertoo View Post
Tania-My BSS plants are easily going out the top of their 6' Texas Tomato Cages. Plants are healthy. Fruits are a beautiful burnt orange as previously noted.

I am geting two fruit shapes. One is a cherry. the other is twice as large and tapers to a point on the blossom end. Is this to be expected? I will post
pictures this evening.

Happy Matering,

Paul
Paul, in this thread a month ago you reported about BSS and I think you said you liked them b'c they had a nice fruity taste but didn't mention anything about two fruit shapes.

No, it'snot to be expected unless the weather has been very hot since a month ago in which case some fruits will form a point at the blossom end but as for a larger fruit size, I can only report what I got and what the person who did my seed production for me got and we both got orangy/red cherries of the same size.

Are all the cherries the same color? And do both forms appear on the same plant or different plants?
Old July 8, 2010   #15
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn-When I posted earlier rgarding BSS, I hadn't noticed the two fruit shapes/sizes, as I had a lot going on with the recent death of my mother and related things.

I have some pictures that may help explain things. First photo shows the two fruits. The real difference is size, as the shape is basically the same, except that the larger fruit has a small taper at the blossom end.

I have one plant that has the larger fruit, while the other five have the smaller fruit that is completely round. Wish me luck in posting these pictures.

Happy Matering,

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0003.JPG (36.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0011.JPG (36.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0012.JPG (33.3 KB, 35 views)