Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 29, 2012   #31
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Julia View Post
Kath,

Wow!! That's an incredible list!! I would just love to see them in your garden.
I bet the rows and rows of tomato plants would be amazing.

Julia
We're practically neighbors, so you're more than welcome to come by anytime and see them for yourself...and pick and taste...and water and weed and spray... I prune most to a single vine and use close spacing so they don't take up as much room as you might imagine.

Kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2012   #32
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

The shock on peoples faces who are not tomato and pepper enthusiasts makes me a little gun shy at times. However I've noticed that some of those shocked faces in the spring dropped by (and occassionally brought friends) to take a look at the garden in the fall.

This year I was focused mostly on new to me interesting and colorful early and midseason varieties because the last two seasons have been so cool and wet I did not get nearly the production I was hoping for. Of course I greatly increased the number of varieties I'm planting to help narrow down what does well here and now we're having a much warmer and drier spring than normal so I may finally find myself in the position of having too many tomatoes and peppers.... but I doubt it.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2012   #33
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Left to right:

Top Gun
Black Krim
Lemon Boy
Big Beef
German Johnson
Mortgage Lifter

Also, 4 Ghost Peppers in cages (because my cats will eat the leaves without the cages )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012 Garden 024.jpg (318.7 KB, 44 views)
lapk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2012   #34
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

For Mark and Julie

Téton de Venus Blanc

Mark, how can there be a white Teton de Venus when red is dominant to white, always. Where did this one come from and does it look like a heart with that distinctive acute curled tip, two fruits per stem, which gave rise to the name of the variety, as in, OK, I'll say it nicely, mountains of venus, which do come in twos when speaking of human anatomy.

On the Olirose and Plate, many of us found many errors in histories from Mandy's Garden and there's a thread here about that. She attempted to correct the ones some of us noted but I haven't been back to her website lately.

I don't think you can make corrections until and unless you, me, can find the thread here at Tville about those two varieties and you share with at least me, who got the originals from Norbert, what your seed sources were for the two varieties so we can try and make sense of it.

FOR JULIE

Julie, I think we'd better find some time to distinguish between the variety Josphine which a Tville member sent me, which is OP, and various spellings of Josphina and you had one in parens as an F1, I don't remember the spelling on that one. What was the source of your seeds for Josephina and do you know it's OP or is it a hybrid.

I only know about the OP variety Josephine but haven't looked around yet.

BTW, I am not from PA, rather from upstate NY, so know where PA is, ahem and have several froends who liove and grow tomatoes there. And that's not live to grow tomatoes, b'c living and growing tomatoes are two distinct issues, aren't they?
Old March 29, 2012   #35
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

I might as well post my puny, little list…
Pineapple tomatillo
Portuguese heart
Kentucky beefsteak
Gildo peitroboni
potato top
White tomesol
Nile river egyptian
sungold
Cindy's west virginia
Gardener's delight
Monkey a@#
ernesto
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2012   #36
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
The shock on peoples faces who are not tomato and pepper enthusiasts makes me a little gun shy at times. However I've noticed that some of those shocked faces in the spring dropped by (and occassionally brought friends) to take a look at the garden in the fall.

This year I was focused mostly on new to me interesting and colorful early and midseason varieties because the last two seasons have been so cool and wet I did not get nearly the production I was hoping for. Of course I greatly increased the number of varieties I'm planting to help narrow down what does well here and now we're having a much warmer and drier spring than normal so I may finally find myself in the position of having too many tomatoes and peppers.... but I doubt it.
Well, I believe this is first time I ever had the nerve to post my grow list, Mark, out of concern for what others might think. I suppose there are others who feel the same way, but it is kind of sad- if we can't post a long list here and have others understand, what hope is there for us?There are more dangerous addictions to have.

Each year my neighbors get a key with all the varieties in the garden and the code for each name so they'll know what they're eating and can request next year's seedlings after they've decided on their favorites. They were shocked and amazed at first, but they're happy to take all the fruits we bring to them. Most people are stunned to realize how many varieties there are! I don't think you'll have trouble finding homes for your tomatoes and peppers even if you have a bumper crop this year...and I hope you do. Here's to finding some clear winners this year!
Old March 29, 2012   #37
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

Kath, please save me some antique Roman seed
Old March 29, 2012   #38
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
For Mark and Julie

Téton de Venus Blanc

Mark, how can there be a white Teton de Venus when red is dominant to white, always. Where did this one come from and does it look like a heart with that distinctive acute curled tip, two fruits per stem, which gave rise to the name of the variety, as in, OK, I'll say it nicely, mountains of venus, which do come in twos when speaking of human anatomy.

On the Olirose and Plate, many of us found many errors in histories from Mandy's Garden and there's a thread here about that. She attempted to correct the ones some of us noted but I haven't been back to her website lately.

I don't think you can make corrections until and unless you, me, can find the thread here at Tville about those two varieties and you share with at least me, who got the originals from Norbert, what your seed sources were for the two varieties so we can try and make sense of it.
This will be my first year growing Téton de Venus Blanc so I can't speak to it's traits yet, but the seed came from Gerd in Belgium; it was listed in his trade offer in the Available for Trade forum here. I was very curious myself, that's why it made the cut onto this years list.

Re: corrections - I just meant correcting the descriptions in my list above so someone didn't find them in the future and propagate them as accurate.

The Olirose seeds I got from Mandy's Greenhouses and the Plate seeds are from Heritage Harvest Seed.
Old March 29, 2012   #39
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttgirl View Post
I might as well post my puny, little list…
Pineapple tomatillo
Portuguese heart
Kentucky beefsteak
Gildo peitroboni
potato top
White tomesol
Nile river egyptian
sungold
Cindy's west virginia
Gardener's delight
Monkey a@#
ernesto
Oh, no! Now we know that people are also worried that their list is too small to post?! Let's all be PROUD of our lists, no matter the size or how many colors it contains or whether its larger or smaller that last year's, or as big or small as we would like it to be. Each one is the culmination of lots of time invested in carefully choosing the varieties that seem to hold the promise of best tomato season yet. Let's post those lists!

Cindy, I think your list sounds great- are they all tried and true favorites or are you trying some new ones? I look forward to the day when my list is a lot closer to yours in length than it is now, but I'm trying to enjoy the journey, too.

Kath

Remind me when the time comes about the Antique Roman, ok?
Old March 29, 2012   #40
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
For Mark and Julie

FOR JULIE

Julie, I think we'd better find some time to distinguish between the variety Josphine which a Tville member sent me, which is OP, and various spellings of Josphina and you had one in parens as an F1, I don't remember the spelling on that one. What was the source of your seeds for Josephina and do you know it's OP or is it a hybrid.

I only know about the OP variety Josephine but haven't looked around yet.

BTW, I am not from PA, rather from upstate NY, so know where PA is, ahem and have several froends who liove and grow tomatoes there. And that's not live to grow tomatoes, b'c living and growing tomatoes are two distinct issues, aren't they?
Carolyn,

I'm responding because I'm the one growing Josefina- you posted about it this am on one of your feedback threads and I responded there. But since it applies more to this thread, let me say again that I was contacted today via PM by the source of the seeds and the confusion was due to a simple spelling error that appeared only on the packet that he sent me. He asked me to thank you for pointing out the spelling error and I've since corrected it in all the various places where I've written it. The variety is indeed called and spelled Josefina and the seeds were purchased by Tania a couple of years ago. Tania doesn't list this as a hybrid on her website, so I'm assuming it's not, but there is apparently a variety called Josefina that is a hybrid because I saw it via a google search. I don't know anything about the variety called Josephine other than what you've stated. So I think all is well with my list.

And yes, I'm quite happy that life isn't just about growing tomatoes.

kath
Old March 29, 2012   #41
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Well, I believe this is first time I ever had the nerve to post my grow list, Mark, out of concern for what others might think. I suppose there are others who feel the same way, but it is kind of sad- if we can't post a long list here and have others understand, what hope is there for us?There are more dangerous addictions to have.

Each year my neighbors get a key with all the varieties in the garden and the code for each name so they'll know what they're eating and can request next year's seedlings after they've decided on their favorites. They were shocked and amazed at first, but they're happy to take all the fruits we bring to them. Most people are stunned to realize how many varieties there are! I don't think you'll have trouble finding homes for your tomatoes and peppers even if you have a bumper crop this year...and I hope you do. Here's to finding some clear winners this year!
I've used that remark about addictions a lot. I have plenty of friends who have many more expensive and time consuming hobbies.

With peppers everyone looks at me suspiciously when I offer those , but tomatoes are always enthusiastically welcomed.
Old March 29, 2012   #42
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=kath;264647]Oh, no! Now we know that people are also worried that their list is too small to post?! Let's all be PROUD of our lists, no matter the size or how many colors it contains or whether its larger or smaller that last year's, or as big or small as we would like it to be. Each one is the culmination of lots of time invested in carefully choosing the varieties that seem to hold the promise of best tomato season yet. Let's post those lists!

Cindy, I think your list sounds great- are they all tried and true favorites or are you trying some new ones? I look forward to the day when my list is a lot closer to yours in length than it is now, but I'm trying to enjoy the journey, too.

Kath

Remind me when the time comes about the Antique Roman, ok?[/QUOTE

Actually, I may squeeze in a couple more. The seeds I planted for Kentucky beefsteak looked way too small. All these are new to me except Cindy's west Virginia and potato top. This version of potato top is different for me because someone sent me some that were selected for larger fruit.
I just don't have the space for any more. All my tried and truest will just have to wait

Now, can anyone recommend a few large tomatoes that are fairly early? If I have one I can hurry and start a few more !
Old March 29, 2012   #43
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
I've used that remark about addictions a lot. I have plenty of friends who have many more expensive and time consuming hobbies.

With peppers everyone looks at me suspiciously when I offer those , but tomatoes are always enthusiastically welcomed.
People are funny about peppers- I only like them ripe but many won't touch any but the green ones, thinking they must be hot.
Old March 29, 2012   #44
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I like hot peppers so people ask "By not hot, what do you mean? To you or to a normal person?"

I think if it's not a bell pepper I'd have to get one of the kids to eat one first to convince people.
Old March 29, 2012   #45
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

I will just have to take you up on that invite Kath!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
We're practically neighbors, so you're more than welcome to come by anytime and see them for yourself...and pick and taste...and water and weed and spray... I prune most to a single vine and use close spacing so they don't take up as much room as you might imagine.

Kath
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote