Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 9, 2009   #1
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Default Serenade

I live in hot and humid coastal southeastern location and am considering using Serenade to try to control fungal diseases. Using search, I am not able to find any recent opinions on its effectiveness. Anybody use it regularly and get good results? Thanks.
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2009   #2
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

I'm using it to combat powdery mildew that is taking over my Peonies leaves and onto the tomatoes leaves. Not sure if Serenade is the answer as I'm only treading water and loosing all the lower leaves to get the PM out of the area. 2nd year I finally get the plants to grow and now disease is my lesson to learn will start spraying next year once the tomatoes are planted in containers. Will follow up once I get a handle on the PM.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2009   #3
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

I've been using Serenade since it was introduced and find it works well as a preventive, not as good if you already have a condition like powdery mildew. I use Serenade in tandem with Messenger. The Messenger (which is not a pesticide but kind of an immune stimulant) is sprayed every three weeks. I usually do Serenade every two weeks although in the hot humid spells a little more often. Together, these two treatments have worked well for me.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2009   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Charlstonsc, If your asking about Serenade I'm assuming you want to go the organic route for disease control which is great. Here is a link to a product that might be what your looking for. also Actinovate which I use also works very well controlling disease. Do a Search here at TVille for Actinovate and here's a link to the other product I mentione. Ami
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=11063
Old June 11, 2009   #5
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

That Messenger looks like a good thing, rsg2001. Thanks for bringing it up.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2009   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Blueaussi, I believe they are no longer maketing Messenger. Ami
Old June 11, 2009   #7
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

Actually, the website says that there's a few carriers for it locally.
Here's the link for looking it up http://www.edenbio.com/garden/index....pper&Itemid=78

Hi CharlestonSC, I think I've commented on your blog in the past, you container garden, yes?
Enjay
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2009   #8
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Not true that you can't get Messenger. You can get Messenger now from most garden centers -- that's where I usually get it -- and also from the manufacturer, eden biosciences. About the same price. If you want to pay more for it, it is repackaged under the name "Green Guard" from Gardens Alive. Harpin protein.
Old June 11, 2009   #9
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Actually, I just looked into it and saw that Eden Biosciences just dissolved the company. I will ask around the community and see if anyone's going to pick up the patents for Messenger. If not, I'm heading to a bunch of garden stores and picking up as many of them as I can find because it's an amazing product.
Old June 12, 2009   #10
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

It appears that Eden Biosciences has had financial difficulties for quite some time. link
http://biz.yahoo.com/e/081112/eden10-q.html
go to Overview --12-- been selling off assest only has rights to distribute product. Dating back to 2006,2007 and finally selling the rights to harpin protien product

Just when you think you've found a solution you have to adjust ....must be like old Tomato Tone and New Tomato Tone. Surely someone will continue their work.
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2009   #11
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

aninocentangel-
I've been around awhile and yes, am into containers since bacterial wilt makes inground tomatoes impossible for me. As you see, I've yet to overcome fungal and bacterial challenges, but I'm trying...and I'll be trying again with another, as yet unsuccessful, attempt at a Fall tomato crop....if you have suggestions for the Fall plants, please do offer....thanks.

rsg2001-
I was born and raised on Long Island in the town that is home to Nathan's....bought some Messenger today, where I got my Serenade also....thanks

Ami-
Looking at the Agri-Fos and Actinovate also....

As you might have guessed, I've decided to declare some war on this stuff...
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2009   #12
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

Charlstonsc,
I'm just up the road from you, in Summerville.
I'm not really good with the fall garden stuff yet, the past few years I've been using up leftover hybrid seeds and otherwise experimenting. Taxi did pretty well in 2007, average flavor but quite reliable, good on burgers. Cherries do well for me in the fall, the paste tomatoes that I've tried faired okay too.
I find that the determinates that tend to ripen all at once work best for me, but I keep trying the big indet slicers in hopes that I find a heat tolerant short season tomato.
This year I'm starting a brown Chocolate Cherokee like tomato we got in an heirloom mix from a friend, Banana Legs, Cream Sausage, Green Sausage, Opalka, hybrids Golden Rave and Viva Italia, and I'm doing a grow out some F2 Campari seeds just for fun.
I can't help picturing a ninja wearing a tool belt with all the assorted mixes and preparations at the ready, guarding the garden against the creeping crud. Thanks for the image lol.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2009   #13
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

In 2007, life got in the way, and the garden got away from me towards the end of the season. It was December before I got out there and started cleaning up the weeds and dead tomato plants. A bit of color caught my eye, and when I pushed aside the leaves and dried stalks, I found a live tomato vine buried under the debris. And these. In December. It was a Tropic tomato, the seeds came from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg latetomato4070.jpg (58.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Blueaussi; June 13, 2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Dang, wrong picture.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2009   #14
salix
Tomatovillian™

What a lovely surprise to find. Bet it gave you a real lift. P. S. Love your taste in literature, too!
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2009   #15
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Chalstonsc, I didn't know that Nathan's was started on Long Island vs Brooklyn! Needless to say, here in NY, no fall crops for us re. tomatoes, however, my tomato garden usually stays up till the end of October, and sometimes November depending on the temperatures. Right now, I'm seeing the first few tomato babies.
Robbin